USS Remlik
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links


Other Sites
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
Multieducator Products

Remlik SP-157

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt

(SP-157: dp. 600; 1. 200'; b. 23'; dr. 13'6"; s. 14 k.; epl. 62; a. 2 3", 2 mg.)

Remlik (SP-157), ex Candace, was built by Cook, Walton, and Gimmell, Hull, England in 1903: purchased by the Navy from her owner, Willis S. Kilmer, Binghalllton, N.Y., 1 June 1917, delivered 10 June 1917, converted for use as a patrol boat and commissioned 11 July 1917, Lt. Comdr. I. C. Johnson in command.

Following commissioning, the converted steam yacht got underway for France, where, in late summer, she assumed antisubmarine patrol and coastal escort duties in the Bay of Biscay. Originally with the 2d Patrol Division, and later with the 8th, Remlik was on patrol duty on the morning of 17 December when she found herself fighting a storm, stalking a submarine, and endangered by one of her own depth charges.

The submarine, sighted off the starboard beam, submerged beh~re the guncrews could fire. The U-boat's periscope reappeared three times, but the extremely rough weather preeluded the use of her torpedoes and she finally disappeared. Remlik, although prohibited from using her depth charges by her speed—only 2 knots against the gale—remained in the area in hopes her quarry would reappear.

Shortly thereafter, the depth charge box on Reinlik's taffrail aft was washed overboard. Its depth charge, however, fell inboard, lost its safety pin, and began rolling around on deck.

In the ensuing minutes, John Mackenzie, BMC, ran down the deck and, despite the rolling and pitching of the vessel, got a firm grip on the cylinder; put it on end; then, sat on it to hold it in place until others could lash it down. Mackenzie was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions.

Remlik continued her patrols and escorted ships along the Freneh coast through the remainder of World War I. After the end of hostilities, she returned to the United States for inactivation. She was decommissioned at Norfolk 7 November 1919 and was sold to J. S. Webster, Baltimore, Md., 7 June 1920.