Frankford dd 497

Contact US
Naval Links


Other Sites
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections





































Frankford DD- 497


Captain John Frankford, commanding the 18-gun privateer Belvedere out of Philadelphia, had several spirited engagements with French xebecs and privateers off the Spanish coast in the spring of 1799 during the Quasi-War with France.

(DD-497: dp. 1,630, 1. 348'4"; b. 36'1"; dr. 11'10";
s. 37 k.; cpl. 208; a. 4 5", 5 21" tt., 6 dcp., 2 dct.;
cl. Bristol)

Frankford (DD-497) was launched 17 May 1942 by Seattle-Taeoma Shipbuilding Co., Seattle, Wash.; sponsored by Mrs. William F. Cibbs, and commissioned 31 March 1943, Lieutenant Commander T. J. Thornhill in command.

After coastal escort duty, Frankford made three voyages to screen convoys from the east coast to Casablanca and Northern Ireland between 27 June 1943 and 29 November. She then returned to coastal escort, antisubmarine patrols, and duty at Norfolk training prospective crews for new construction until 18 April 1944 when she sailed from New York for Plymouth England. In preparation for the invasion of Normandy, Frankford escorted transports and other ships to training in Scottish waters and to the assembly points in the south of England, until 5 June, when she sortied from Plymouth for Omaha Beach. On D-Day, 6 June,

Frankford provided fire to block out light enemy guns pinning the assault troops down on the beach, then joined the area screen. Along with rescuing survivors of mined ships and downed pilots, Frankf ord drove off enemy E boat attacks with her fire. Aside from two one-day voyages to Plymouth for stores and fuel, Frankford remained on duty in the Baie de la Seine until 15 July.

Three days later, Frankford sailed from Plymouth to screen a group of landing craft to the Mediterranean, and on 6 August 1944, she arrived at Naples for duty in the invasion of southern France. Her task force sortied 13 August, and Frankf ord patrolled off the invasion beaches during the landings of 13 August and the days that followed. On the night of 17-18 August, she and another destroyer engaged a group of enemy torpedo boats, sinking three and capturing one, which later sank. On 30 August, she put in to Naples to take on fuel and supplies, and after calling at several western Mediterranean ports, the destroyer arrived at New York 3 October for overhaul.

Exercises, patrols, and hunts for submarines along the east coast occupied Frankf ord until 21 January 1945, when she sailed from Norfolk for a rendezvous off the Azores. Here she joined the screen for Quincy (CA-71), carrying President F. D. Roosevelt to Malta. Here the President debarked to fly to the Yalta Conference. Frankford served on an air-sea rescue station in the eastern Mediterranean during the President's flight out and back, and returned to New York 27 February. The destroyer made antisubmarine patrols along the Atlantic coast and guarded carriers in training until 10 May, when she arrived at New York to prepare for Pacific duty.

Frankford reached Pearl Harbor 8 August 1945 from, the east coast, and after exercising in the Hawaiian Islands, sailed to the western Pacific for occupation duty. She operated with minesweepers off the coast of Japan, covered landings on Honshu, and on 25 October sailed from Tokyo Bay for the east coast. On 4 March 1946, she was decommissioned and placed in reserve at Charleston, S.C.

Frankford received two battle stars for World War II service. I
Mug Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt