Contact US Other Sites
War of 1812
World War II
US Aircraft of WW2
Andrew Boyd Cummings, born 22 June 1830 in Philadelphia, Pa., was appointed midshipman in 1846, but was detached from the Naval Academy the next year for active duty in Brandywine, returning in 1852. During the Civil War, he served with distinction in the West Gulf Blockading Squadron in Richmond, participating in the action at Forts Jackson and Saint Philip, La. He showed conspicuous gallantry as the squadron passed the batteries of Fort Hudson, La., 14-15 March 1863 and died of wounds received in that action, at New Orleans, 18 March 1863.
(DD-44: dp. 1,020; 1. 305'3"; b. 31'2"; dr. 9'3"; s. 29 k.;
cpl. 98; a. 3 4", 8 18" tt.; cl. Cassin)
The first Cummings (DD-44) was launched 6 August 1913 by Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine; sponsored by Mrs. H. Beates, Jr., niece of Lieutenant Commander Cummings; and commissioned 19 September 1913, Lieutenant Commander A. Crenshaw in command.
Departing Boston in November 1913, Cummings cruised along the Atlantic coast and in the Caribbean until the following June, when based at Newport, she joined the Neutrality Patrol and cruised off the coast until the United States entered into World War I.
Arriving at New York Navy Yard 12 May 1917 to be outfitted for foreign service, Cummings sailed 16 May reaching the Destroyer Base, Queenstown, Ireland, 26 May. She served in the cross-channel escort service under Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Operating in European Waters, and also conducted antisubmarine patrols off the southern Irish coast, making contact in 14 encounters. Continuing to serve on escort assignments off the coast of France after the war, she was one of the escort for George Washington, carrying President Wilson to Brest, France.
Cummings departed French waters 16 December 1918 and from 6 February to 9 April 1919 she joined in destroyer maneuvers and gunnery exercises at Guantanamo Bay. During July and August she operated off Newport, then was in reserve at Philadelphia between August 1919 and March 1921. She returned to operations off the east coast with the Fleet until placed out of commission at Philadelphia 23 June 1922. Transferred to the U.S. Treasury Department for the Coast Guard 6 June 1924, Cummings was returned to the Navy 23 May 1932 and sold 22 August 1934 for scrapping in accordance with the London Treaty for the limitation and reduction of naval armaments.