Buy a Ship Mug Naval Links
War of 1812
World War II
US Aircraft of WW2
Reuben Chase joined Ranger as a seaman in 1777 and served during John Paul Jones' daring raid into British waters. Chase was appointed a midshipman in Bonhomne Richard 18 March 1779, and took part in the historic victory over HMS Serapis 23 September 1779. Chase (DD-323) was named in his honor
Jehu Valentine Chase was born in Pattersonville, La., 10 January 1869, and graduated from the Naval Academy 6 June 1890. As commanding officer of Minnesota when she was mined in September 1918, Chase was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal in recognition of his splendid seamanship and leadership in bringing his ship safely to port without loss of life. Admiral Chase was Commander in Chief, United States Fleet, from 17 September 1930 to 15 September 1931, and Chairman of the General Board from April 1932 until his retirement in February 1933. He died at Coronado, Calif., 24 May 1937. Chase (DE-158) was named in his honor.
(DD-323: dp. 1,190; 1. 314'5"; b. 31'8''; dr. 9'10"; S. 35
k.; cpl. 95; a. 4 4", 1 3", 12 21" tt.; cl. Clemson)
The first Chase (DD-323) was launched 2 September 1919 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., San Francisco, Calif.; sponsored by Mrs. J. A. Annear; and commissioned 10 March 1921 Lieutenant Commander C. E. Battle, Jr., in command.
Cruising primarily along the west coast of the United States, Chase took part in training operations and fleet maneuvers through which the Navy developed the modern techniques of naval warfare practiced in World War II. She took part in the Presidential Fleet Review at Seattle, Wash., in 1923, and in 1927 cruised in Nicaraguan waters to protect American interests while civil war raged through that country. In 1928 she cruised to Hawaii with members of the Naval Reserve on board for training, and in 1929 she operated off San Diego with Saratoga (CV-3) and Lexington (CV-2) aiding in the development of carrier aviation.
Designated for scrapping under the provisions of the London Naval Treaty, Chase was decommissioned at San Diego 15 May 1930, and broken up during 1931.