The first Pueblo, built as Colorado (armored cruiser 7) (q.v.), served under the latter name until renamed Pueblo 9 November 1916.
(PF-13: dp. 2,415,1. 303'11"; b. 37'6", dr. 13'8", s. 20 k., epl
190; a. 2 3", 4 40mm.; cl. Tacoma; T. S2-S2-AQ1)
The second Pueblo (PF-13) was laid down under Maritime Commission eontraet (MC hull 1431) by Kaiser Cargo Ine., Yard #4, Richmond, Calif., 14 November 1943, Iaucehed 20 January 1944, sponsored by Seaman Carol Barnhart, USN(W) and commissioned 27 May 1944, Comdr. Donald T. Adams, USCG, in command
Following shakedown off the southern California coast Pueblo fitted out with highly sensitive meteorological instruments, reported for duty as a weather tracking ship with the Western Sea Frontier, 26 October 1944. Assigned to the Northern California Sector, and based at San Francisco, she patrolled on ocean weather stations, reporting weather eonditions and acting as lifeguard ship beneath the transPacific air routes, until March 1946. Then ordered to the east coast, she departed California on the 13th and headed for Charleston and inactivation. Decommissioned 6 April 1946, she was sold to J. C. Berkwitz and Co., New York, 22 September 1947, and resold, a year later, to the government of the Dominican Republic. Originally renamed Presidente Peynado, she serves that country into 1970 as Cap. General Pedro Santana (453).