History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links


Other Sites
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
Multieducator Products



(SS-27: dp. 400 (n.); 1. 161'; b. 13'1"; dr. 12', s. 14 k.
cpl. 24; a. 4 18" tt.; cl. ~2)

G-2 was laid down as Tuna 20 October 1909- renamed G 2, 17 November 1911; launched by the Lake Torpedo Boat Co., Bridgeport, Conn., 10 January 1912, sponsored by Miss MarJorie F. Miller completed in the New York Navy Yard, and commissioned 6 February 1915, Lt. ( j.g. ) R. C. Needham in command.

G 2 joined Division 3 of the Submarine Flotilla 27 .March at Portsmouth, VA., for practice cruises that found her at Norfolk, Charleston, New York, Newport, and Provincetown. The submarine was extensively overhauled in the New York Navy Yard and the Lake Torpedo Boat Co. from 26 March 1916 to 28 June 1917 then reported to the Submarine Flotilla, Patrol Force U.S. Atlantic Fleet at New London, Conn.

The submarine remained at New London for further installations until 23 August when she left for instructional and experimental operations out of Boston off Boston Lightship. With students embarked, she assisted in proving out submarine detection devices for the Experimental Board embarked in Margaret, and in experimental problems with SC - 2 shifted her base from Boston to New London, Conn., 20 October 1917 and combined experimental work on sound detection devices with training for the newly established Submarine School in the area of Block Island and Long Island Sounds. She had defensive patrol duty during June and July 1918, maintaining a listening and periscope alert on station off Block Island. She experimented with magnetic detectors and the Very System Signal device and tested the strength of her hull against depth charges. Concurrently, she trained student officers in cooperation with the experimental Station at New London, Conn.

G-2 continued schoolship and experimental duty until after World War I, and she decommissioned 2 April 1919. She was designated as a target for testing depth charges and ordnance nets in Niantic Bay, Conn. During inspection by a six-man maintenance crew on 30 July 1919, the target boat suddenly flooded and sank at her moorings in Two Tree Channel near Niantic Bay. She went down in 131/2 fathoms, drowning three of the inspection crew. The submarine was never raised.