USS Onondaga I
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links


Other Sites
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
Multieducator Products

Onondaga I monitor

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Onondaga I
(Mon: t. 1,250; 1. 226'; b. 49'3"; dph. 13'2"; dr. 12'0"; s. 9 k.; cpl. 150; a. 2 15", 2 150-pdr. P.r.; cl. Onondaga)

The first Onondaga, a double turreted monitor, was launched 2 July 1X64 by Continental Iron Works, Greenpoint, N. Y., under subcontract from George W. Quintard, sponsored by Miss Sally Sedgwiek, daughter of former U. S. Representative Charles Baldwin Sedgwiek, who eodified naval laws for the Navy Department, and commissioned at New York Navy Yard 24 March 1864, Capt. Melanethon Smith in command.

With Mattabesset, the new monitor departed New York 21 April 1864, and arrived Hampton Roads two days later. Operating primarily in the James River Flotilla, Onondaga supported General Grant's drive on Richmond. On 24 November with Mahopac she engaged Southern batteries on the James at Howlett's, Va., and resumed the attack 5 and 6 December.

Early in January much of the Union strength was with drawn from the James as Admiral Porter assembled his powerful fleet for the forthcoming attack on Fort Fisher, N. C. which protected Wilmington. Onondaga was the only monitor left to guard Union forces on and along the James against Flag Officer John K. Mitchell's Confederate James River Squadron. When the Southern force steamed down river to attack the weakened Union forces there afloat, the monitor dropped downstream to a position affording her greater maneuverability. She and her supporting gunboats awaited the Southern attack only to have the Confederate thrust blunted when Mitchell's ironclads Virginia No.2 and Richmond, gunboat Dreu~ry, and torpedo boat Scorpion all ran aground trying to pass obstructions at Trent's Reach. After attacks by Northern shore batteries and Onondaga, Dreu!ry exploded, Scorpion was abandoned, and the two Southern ironelads withdrew upriver when they were refloated the next day.

After continuing to support Union troops fighting to take the Confederate capital until General Lee was forced to abandon Richmond, Ononda~a steamed north and decommissioned at New York 8 June 1865 and was laid up at League Island, Pa. By Aet of Congress approved 7 March 1867, the monitor was sold to her builder, G. W. Quintard and subsequently resold to France for service in the French Navy under the same name.