(DE-40: dp. 1,140, 1. 289'5", b. 35'2", dr. 11'; s. 21.5
k.; cpl. 156; a. 3 3", 4 1.1", 9 20mm., 2 act., 8 dcp., 1 dcp. (hh.); cl. Evarts)
Originally designated for transfer to Britain, BDE40 was laid down on 7 September 1942 by the Puget Sound Navy Yard, Bremerton, Wash., named Sanders on 14 June 1943, reclassified DE-40 on 16 June 1943 launched on 18 June 1943; and commissioned on 1 October 1943, Lt. Comdr. Arthur N. Daniels in command.
After shakedown, Sanders participated in patrol and escort duties in the Gilbert and Marshall Islands from January through July 1944, including a bombardment of Kusaie Island on 1 June. She then escorted support shipping to the Marianas from August through October. Following further patrol and escort duties in the Gilbert and Marshall Islands from November through March 1945, she guarded a logistics support group, supplying fast carrier task forces in the western Pacific, from April into June. Sailing via Pearl Harbor, she arrived at San Francisco on 15 July for overhaul.
Remaining on the United States west coast, she was decommissioned on 19 December 1945. Struck from the Navy list on 8 January 1946, she was delivered, on 8 May 1947, to the National Metal and Steel Corp. Terminal Island, Calif., and scrapped in 1948.
Sanders received four battle stars for World War II service.