USS Azalea
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links


Other Sites
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
Multieducator Products



Any of a lar e group of shrubs cultivated for their bountiful blossoms of wi5ely vaned colors.


(ScTug: t. 176; 1. 110'; b. 21'6`1 dph. 8'3`1 dr. 10% s. 10 k.; cpl.
42; a. I 30-pdr. P.r., 1 20-pdr. D.r.)

The first Azalea-a wooden-hulled, screw tug built at Boston by McKay and Aldus--was purchased by the Navy upon her completion on 31 March 1864. After her fitting out at the Boston Navy Yard, the tug was placed in commission on 7 June 1864, Acting Master Frederick W. Strong in command.

Assigned to the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron, the new tug arrived off the bar outside Charleston, S.C., on 17 June 1864 and immediately took station in the outer cordon of Union warships striving to seal off that major port which, as the birthplace of secession, held great symbolic significance for the Confederacy in addition to its substantial strategic value. The highlight of this duty-which she performed until March 1865-came half an hour before midnight on 8 July 1864 when her boats joined those of the tug Sweet Brier in boarding and taking possession of the blockade-running ". . . schooner Pocahontas, of and from Charleston, S.C., bound to Nassau, New Providence . . ." with a cargo of cotton and tobacco.

1, rom time to time during her ensuing months off Charleston, Azalea had brushes with blockade runners which were attempting to enter or leave port, but she did not score again before she retired to Port Royal, S.C., just before the arrival of spring. When this work had been completed, late in March 1865, she headed for waters near Savannah, Ga., and was on duty in Ossabaw Sound by 1 April. By this time, the Confederacy was collapsing. Lee's army evacuated Richmond and Confederate President Jefferson Davis and his cabinet retired into the deep South in the hope of continuing the struggle. However, Lee surrendered the Army of Northern Virginia on the 9th and General Joseph E. Johnston realized that his army, the only significant body of Confederate troops left in the field, could not ail On the 25th, Gen. William T. Sherman informed Rear John A. Dahlgren that he expected Johnston to surrender the next day and asked the commander of the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron to ". . . watch the east coast and send word round to the west coast . . . " lest Davis and his cabinet escape to Cuba.

Azalea was one of the nine steamers that Dahlgren promptly sent to sea to intercept the former Southern chief of state. However, Union cavalrymen captured Davis at Irwinville, Ga., on 10 May; and Azalea returned to Port Royal 15 May.

Nevertheless, the war was not yet quite over for the tug. On 23 May, she seized Sarah M. Newall while that British hermaphrodite brig was attempting to run through the blockade into Savannah.

Azalea continued blockade duty into June and, by mid-month, was back at Port Royal receiving repairs. She got underway north on 27 June and was decomirilssioned on 13 July 1865. Sold at auction at Philadelphia to Samuel C. Cook on 10 August 1865, the tug was redocumented as Tecumseh on 6 October 1865. Operating, at least originally, out of Boston, she remained in documentation until 1890.