(Fr.: T. 400; 1. 134'; b. 34'6"; dr. 11'6"; cpl. 220; a. 26
12-pdr. S. B., 12 9-pdr. S. B.)
The third Boston, a 28-gun frigate, was built by public subscription in Boston under the Act of 30 June 1798. She was launched 20 May 1799 by Edmund Hartt, Boston, Mass., and commissioned soon afterwards, Captain G. Little in command.
Boston cruised in the West Indies (July 1799-June 1800) protecting American commerce against French privateers. Returning to Boston 25 June 1800, she cruised along the American coast until September when she sailed to the Guadaloupe Station In the West Indies. In 22*52' N 52*56' W., 12,October 1800, she engaged and captured t~~ small French frigate Le Berceau. Boston lost seven killed and eight wounded in the encounter. She towed her prize to Boston, arriving in November. During her West Indian cruises Boston captured seven additional prizes (two In conjunction with General Greene).
During the winter of 1801 Boston carried Minister Livingston to France and then joined the Mediterranean Squadron off Tripoli. She fought an action with six or seven Tripolitanian gunboats 16 May 1802, forcing one ashore. Boston returned to Boston in October 1802 and then proceeded to Washington where she was laid up. Considered not worth repairing on the outbreak of the War of 1812, she remained at Washington until 24 August 1814 when she was burned to prevent her falling into British hands.