Towns in Maine and Massachusetts.
( SlpW: t. 703; 1. 127'; b. 33'9"; dr. 16'; cpl. 190;
a. 4 8", 16 32-pdr.)
Falmouth, a sloop-of-war, was launched 3 November 1827 by Boston Navy Yard, and declared ready for sea 19 January 1828, Commander C. W. Morgan in command.
Between 1828 and 1840, Falmouth made two cruises in the West Indies and Gulf of Mexico, and two in the Pacific, protecting American citizens and their property. Between cruises, she was in ordinary for repairs and refittings at either New York or Norfolk or Norfolk Navy Yard.
Recommissioned after such a period in ordinary 16 December 1841, Falmouth joined the recently organized Home Squadron, assigned to protect coastal commerce, aid ships in distress, suppress piracy and the slave trade, make coastal surveys, and train ships to relieve others on distant stations. Falmouth cruised from the Banks of Newfoundland to the mouth of the Amazon and in the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico with this squadron until 1846, aside from necessary repair periods. She operated chiefly in the Gulf of Mexico, carrying messages and Government officials convoying Army transports to Texas, and protecting American interests in Mexico. From September 1845 to March 1846, she was flagship for the Squadron's commander, Commodore D. Conner. During the opening months of the Mexican War, from April to September 1846, she blockaded Mexican ports, then sailed north for repairs. She lay in ordinary at Boston from 22 November 1846 until recommissioned 26 April 1849.
Sailing for the Pacific 16 May 1849, Falmouth protected the new American settlements on the west coast, and voyaged to various Pacific islands before returning to Norfolk 29 January 1852. Again she lay in ordinary, from 4 February 1852 until 18 November 1854
Between 16 December 1854 and August 1855 Falmouth cruised through the West Indies in an unsuccessful search for news of Albany, missing since September. Returning to New York, she was in ordinary until 12 January 1857, when she was recommissioned for service on the Brazil Station. Falmouth joined in the expedition to Paraguay late in 1858 when relations with the United States were strained, and cruised in the Parana and La Plata Rivers until tension eased. She sailed into New York Harbor 19 May 1859, and on the 24th was decommissioned.
Fitted out as a stationary storeship Falmouth departed New York 1 April 1860 for Aspinwall, Panama, the port now known as Colon. She served there as store ship for operating in the Gulf of Mexico, until sold October 1863.