Sgt. George Peterson
(AK-248: dp. 6,240, 1. 338'9"; b. 50', dr. 21' s. 10.5 k.
cpl. 35, cl. Alamosa; T. Cl-M-AV1)
Sgt. George Peterson originally projected as Washtenaw, but built as Coastal Guide, was laid down under a Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 2172) on 9 March 1945 by the Leathem D. Smith Shipbuilding Co. Sturgeon Bay, Wisc., launched on 13 May 1945, sponsored by Mrs. L.R. Sanford; and delivered to the War Shipping Administration on 16 July 1945.
Subsequently operated by the United Fruit Co. and the Polaris SS Co., Inc., Coastal Guide was transferred to the Army on 23 June 1948; renamed Sgt. George Peterson; and operated by the Army Transportation Service until transferred to the Navy in July 1950 and placed in service as USNS Sgt. George Peterson (T-AK 248).
The cargo ship then commenced eight years of operations in the Gulf of Mexico, in the Caribbean, and along the southeastern seaboard of the United States for the Military Sea Transportation Service. During that period, she interrupted her regular service only once— to carry supplies north to arctic stations in the summer of 1955. Early in 1959, the AK was ordered inactivated
and, in March, she was placed out of service at New Orleans. At mid-month, she was towed to Mobile where, on the 27th, she was transferred to the Maritime Administration and berthed with the National Defense Reserve Fleet. She remained in reserve at Mobile until sold for non-transportation use in December 1971.