LST's of the United States Navy
Home
Naval Shopping
About MultiEducator
American History
World History
Election Central
NationbyNation
Primary Source Documents
20th Century Almanac
Aviation History
Navy History
Railroad History
America's Wars
Biographies

Amistadt

Civics

History of Israel
Other Links
About Historycentral
Advertise
Contact US

LST - 60 - 80

LST-60

LST-60 was laid down on 14 November 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 24 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Daniel W. Mack; and commissioned on 7 February 1944, Lt. Carl E. Ellis in command.

During World War II, LST-60 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion from 6 to 25 June 1944. She was decommissioned on 27 June 1946 and was named Atchison County (LST-60) after counties in Kansas and Missouri on 1 July 1955. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 1 November 1958.

Atchison County earned one battle star for World War 11 service as LST-60.

LST-61

LST-61 was laid down on 24 June 1942 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.;

launched on 8 November 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Corinne B. Redgrave; and commissioned on 5 February 1943, Lt. Norris G. Murphy, USNR, in command.

During World War 11, LST-61 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the Sicilian occupation in July 1943 and the Normandy invasion in June 1944. She was then assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the following operation:

Western Caroline Islands operation:

(a) Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands-September and October 1944

LST-61 was decommissioned on 5 June 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 19 June 1946. On 2 June 1947, she was sold to the Southern Trading Co., of Philadelphia, Pa., and converted for merchant service. She was subsequently scrapped in 1960.

LST-61 earned three battle stars for World War II service

LST-62

LST-62 was laid down on 5 August 1942 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 23 November 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Michael Zier; and commissioned in the Royal Navy on 3 March 1943. She was returned by the United Kingdom on 10 June 1946, and she was struck from the Navy list on 19 July 1946 On 12 May 1948, she was sold to the Northern Metals Co., Philadelphia, Pa., for scrapping.

LST-63

LST-63 was laid down on 6 August 1942 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machinery Co.; launched on 19 December 1942; sponsored by Mrs. W. H. Sweney; and commissioned in the Royal Navy on 15 March 1943. The tank landing ship never saw active service with the United States Navy. She was

returned by the United Kingdom on 17 December 1945, and she was struck from the Navy list on 21 January 1946. On 27 May 1948, she was sold to the Northern Metals Co., of Philadelphia, Pa., and converted to merchant service.

LST-64

LST-64 was laid down on 13 August 1942 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 8 January 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Frank H. Buening; and commissioned in the Royal Navy on 2 April 1943. The tank landing ship never saw active service with the United States Navy. She was returned by the United Kingdom, seriously damaged and beyond economical repair, in November 1945, and was struck from the Navy list on 5 December 1945. On 3 July 1946, she was sold to Rinaldo de Haag and subsequently scrapped.

LST-65

LST-65 was laid down on 14 August 1942 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 7 December 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Elsie Middleton Love; and commissioned in the Royal Navy on 15 March 1943. The tank landing ship never saw active service with the United States Navy. She was returned by the United Kingdom on 5 January 1946, and her name was struck from the Navy list on 20 March 1946. On 4 May 1948, she was sold to the Northern Metals Co., of Philadelphia, Pa., and subsequently scrapped.

LST-66

LST-66 was laid down on 14 August 1942 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 16 January 1943; sponsored by Mrs. A. C. Landwehr; and commissioned on 12 April 1943, Lt. Howard E. White, USCG, in command.

During World War If, LST-66 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

Bismarck Archipelago operation:

(a) Cape Gloucester, New Britain-December 1943, January and February 1944

(b) Admiralty Islands landing-February, March and April 1944

Eastern New Guinea operation:

(a) Saidor occupation-January and February 1944

Hollandia operation-April and May 1944 Western New Guinea operations:

(a) Toem-Wakde-Sarmi area operations-May 1944

(b) Biak Island operation-June 1944

(c) Noemfoor Island operation-July 1944

(d) Cape Sansapor operation-July and August 1944

(e) Morotai landings-September 1944 Leyte landings-October and November 1944 Lingayen landings on Luzon-January 1945 Consolidation of the southern Philippines:

(a) Mindanao Island landings-March 1945 Borneo operations:

(a) Balikpapan operation-July 1945

LST-66 was decommissioned on 26 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 1 May 1946. On 7 April 1948, she was sold to the Kaiser Co., Inc., of Seattle, Wash., for scrapping.

LST-66 earned eight battle stars for World War II service as well as the Navy Unit Commendation.

LST-67

LST-67 was laid down on 7 September 1942 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 28 January 1943; sponsored by Mrs. William H. Lang; and commissioned on 20 April 1943.

During World War II, LST-67 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

Eastern New Guinea operation:

(a) Finschhafen occupation-September 1943

(b) Saidor occupation-January 1944

Bismarck Archipelago operation:

(a) Cape Gloucester, New Britain-December 1943; January 1944

(b) Admiralty Islands landing-March 1944

Hollandia operation-April and May 1944

Western New Guinea operations:

(a) Toem-Wakde-Sarmi area operation-May 1944

(b) Biak Island operation-May and June 1944

(c) Noemfoor Island operation-July 1944

(d) Cape Sansapor operation-July and August 1944

(e) Morotai landings-September 1944

Leyte landings-October and November 1944

Borneo operations:

(a) Tarakan Island operation-April and May 1945

(b) Balikpapan operation-June and July 1945

Consolidation of the southern Philippines:

(a) Visayan Islands landing-March 1945

LST-67 was decommissioned on 28 March 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 8 May 1946. On 5 December 1947, she was sold to the Ships & Power Equipment Co., of Barber, N.J., for scrapping.

LST-67 earned seven battle stars for World War II service.

LST-68

LST-68 was laid down on 7 September 1942 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 8 March 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Edna C. Crenshaw; and commissioned on 4 June 1943.

During World War II, LST-68 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

Bismarck Archipelago operation:

(a) Cape Gloucester, New Britain-December 1943; January and February 1944

(b) Admiralty Islands landings-March 1944

Eastern New Guinea operation:

(a) Saidor occupation-January and February 1944

Hollandia operation-April

1944

Western New Guinea operations:

(a) Biak Island operation-June 1944

(b) Noemfoor Island operation-July 1944

(c) Cape Sansapor operation-August 1944

(d) Morotai landings-September 1944

Leyte landings-October and November 1944

Lingayen landings on Luzon-January 1945

Consolidation of the southern Philippines:

(a) Visayan Islands landings-March 1945

LST-68 was decommissioned on 7 March 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 5 June 1946. On 18 September 1947, she was sold to the Southern Shipwrecking Co., of New Orleans, La., for scrapping.

LST-68 earned seven battle stars for World War If service.

LST-69

LST-69 was laid down on 7 September 1942 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.;

launched on 20 February 1943; sponsored by Mrs. S. F. Crum; and commissioned on 20 May 1943. She was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater during World War II and participated in the Gilbert Islands operation in November and December 1943, She sank on 21 May 1944 as a result of fire and accidental explosion at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 18 July 1944.

LST-69 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-70

LST-70 was laid down on 13 November 1942 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 8 February 1943; sponsored by Mrs. George R. Bickel; and commissioned on 28 May 1943.

During World War II, LST-70 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the following operation:

Treasury-Bougainville operation:

(a) Occupation and defense of Cape Torokina - November 1943

Bismarck Archipelago operation:

(a) Green Islands landing-February 1944

Marianas operation:

(a) Capture and occupation of Guam-July 1944

Iwo Jima operation:

(a) Assault and occupation of Iwo JimaFebruary 1945

Okinawa Gunto operation:

(a) Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto - April and May 1945

Following the war, LST-70 performed occupation duty in the Far East in October and November 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 1 April 1946. She was struck from the Navy list on 1 May 1946 and was sold to the Arctic Circle Exploration, Inc., of Seattle, Wash., on 1 July 1946, for scrapping.

LST-70 earned five battle stars for World War 11 service.

LST-71

LST-71 was laid down on 27 November 1942 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 27 February 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Lew Murphy; and commissioned on 9 June 1943.

During World War II, LST-71 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

Marianas operation:

(a) Capture and occupation of Guam-July and August 1944

Treasury-Bougainville operation:

(a) Treasury Island landing-November 1944

Okinawa Gunto operation:

(a) Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto - April 1945

LST-71 was decommissioned on 25 March 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 8 May 1946. On 23 January 1948, she was sold to the Atlantic & Pacific Packing Co., of Seattle, Wash., and subsequently converted for merchant service.

LST-71 earned three battle stars for World War II service.

LST-72

LST-72 was laid down on 20 December 1942 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 17 March 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Audra Ehrhardt; and commissioned on 5 June 1943.

During World War II, LST-72 was assigned to the

European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion from 6 to 25 June 1944. Immediately following the war, she was assigned to occupation duty in the Far East from October 1945 to May 1946. She was decommissioned on 4 June 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 19 June 1946. On 8 June 1948, she was transferred to the Philippine government.

LST-72 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-73

LST-73 was laid down on 10 December 1942 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 29 March 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Bertha L. Johnston; and commissioned on 8 June 1943.

During World War 11, LST-73 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion from 6 to 25 June 1944. Immediately following the war, she was assigned to occupation duty in the Far East during the fall of 1945. She was decommissioned on 13 July 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 10 June 1947. On 31 March 1948, she was sold to the Kaiser Co., Inc., of Seattle, Wash., for scrapping.

LST-73 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-74

LST-74 was laid down on 1 January 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 31 March 1943; sponsored by Mrs. W. F. Satterlee; and commissioned on 15 June 1943.

During World War 11, LST-74 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:

Convoy UGS-36-April 1944

Invasion of southern France-August and September 1944

LST-74 was decommissioned on 21 December 1945 and was struck from the Navy list on 21 January 1946. On 22 September 1947, she was sold to the Southern Shipwrecking Co., of New Orleans, La., and subsequently scrapped.

LST-74 earned two battle stars for World War II service.

LST-75

LST-75 was laid down on 30 January 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 7 April 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Dorsey W. Brown; and commissioned on 21 June 1943.

During World War II, LST-75 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Nomandy in June 1944. Following the war, LST-75 performed occupation duty in the Far East in November and December 1945 and service in China in July and August 1947. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 22 December 1947, and transferred to the Philippine government on 30 December 1947, serving that government as Cotabato (T-36). She was struck from the Navy list on 22 January 1948 and scrapped in 1964.

LST-75 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-76

LST-76 was laid down on 19 January 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 14 April 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Pauline Bower; and commissioned on 26 June 1943.

During World War II, LST-76 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:

Convoy UGS-37-April 1944

Invasion of southern France-August and September 1944

LST-76 was decommissioned on 24 December 1944 and transferred to the United Kingdom. She was returned to the United States Navy on 23 April 1946, and her name was struck from the Navy list on 19 June 1946. On 21 April 1948, she was sold to the Southern Trading Co., of Philadelphia, Pa., and subsequently converted for merchant service. However, she foundered off Cape Hatteras on 5 October 1951.

LST-76 earned two battle stars for World War II service.

LST-77

LST-77 was laid down on 20 February 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 21 April 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Anna Berry; and commissioned on 3 July 1943.

During World War II, LST-77 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:

Convoy UGS-37-April 1944

Invasion of southern France-August and September 1944

LST-77 was decommissioned on 24 December 1944 and transferred to the United Kingdom. She was returned to the custody of the United States on 12 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 June 1946. On 7 November 1947, she was sold to Mr. James A. Hughes, of New York, N.Y., for scrapping.

LST-77 earned two battle stars for World War II service.

LST-78

LST-78 was laid down on 9 February 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 28 April 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Austin E. Overman; and commissioned on 8 July 1943.

During World War II, LST-78 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

Gilbert Islands operation-November and December 1943

Marshall Islands operation:

(a) Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls- January and February 1944

Marianas operation:

(a) Capture and occupation of Guam-July 1944

Occupation of Okinawa-May and June 1945

LST-78 was decommissioned on 8 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 8 May 1946. On 13 April 1948, she was sold to the Kaiser Co., Inc., of Seattle, Wash., for scrapping.

LST-78 earned four battle stars for World War II service.

LST-79

LST-79 was laid down on 28 February 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 8 May 1943; sponsored by Miss Virginia Lee Hughes; and commissioned on 7 July 1943. The tank landing ship never saw active service with the United States Navy. She was transferred to the United Kingdom on 17 July 1943 and was lost on 30 September 1943. On 11 October 1943, she was struck from the Navy list.

© 1999  MultiEducator, Inc.  All rights reserved Report Problems here.

 

'); '); '); ');