LST's of the United States Navy
Home
Naval Shopping
About MultiEducator
American History
World History
Election Central
NationbyNation
Primary Source Documents
20th Century Almanac
Aviation History
Navy History
Railroad History
America's Wars
Biographies

Amistadt

Civics

History of Israel
Other Links
About Historycentral
Advertise
Contact US

LST - 50 - 60

LST-50

LST-50 was laid down on 29 August 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 16 October 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Tito Tarquinio; and commissioned on 27 November 1943.

The tank landing ship was initially assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion between 6 and 25 June 1944 and the invasion of southern France between 15 August and 25 September 1944. She was later transferred to the AsiaticPacific theater of operations where she took part in the Okinawa assault between 18 and 30 June 1945. Following the war, LST-50 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early February 1946.

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 6 February 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 8 September 1952. On 14 November 1952, she was redesignated ARB-13 and transferred to Norway as Ellida (A-534). She was returned to the United States on 1 July 1960 but was retransferred to Greece on 16 September 1960, and served with the Greek Navy as Sakipia (A-329).

LST-50 earned three battle stars for World War II service.

LST-51

LST-51 was laid down on 29 August 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 22 October 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Charles A. Ward; and commissioned on 8 December 1943.

During World War 11, LST-51 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:

Invasion of Normandy-June 1944

Invasion of southern France-August and September 1944

She was then assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and supported the occupation of Okinawa during May and June 1945.

Following the war, LST-51 performed occupation duty in the Far East until March 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 6 March 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 31 October 1947. On 20 April 1948, she was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Bethlehem, Pa.

LST-51 earned three battle stars for World War II service.

LST-52

LST-52 was laid down on 16 September 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 20 October 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Charles W. Crowley; and commissioned on 15 December 1943, Lt. (jg.) Robert H. Freeman, USNR, in command.

During World War 11, LST-52 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion from 6 to 25 June. Immediately following the war, she was assigned to occupation duty in the Far East during the fall of 1945 and January 1946. She was decommissioned on 29 August 1946 and sunk as

a target on 19 April 1948. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 30 April 1948.

LST-52 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-53

LST-53 was laid down on 24 September 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 6 November 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Nicholas Spanard; and commissioned on 21 December 1943, Ens. Michael Stapleton in command.

During World War II, LST-53 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:

Invasion of Normandy-June 1944

Invasion of southern France-August and September 1944

She was then assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and supported the occupation of Okinawa during May and June 1945.

Immediately following the war, she was assigned to occupation duty in the Far East from September 1945 to January 1946. In September 1954, she was redesignated APL-59. She was transferred to the Republic of Korea in May 1955 and served that government as Chang Su (LST- 811).

LST-53 earned three battle stars for World War II service.

LST-54

LST-54 was laid down on 3 October 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 13 November 1943; sponsored by Miss Wanda Oleksiak; and commissioned on 24 December 1943.

During World War II, LST-54 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion from 6 to 25 June 1944. She was decommissioned on 5 November 1945 and was struck from the Navy list on 28 November 1945, On 22 March 1948, she was sold to the Townsend Transportation Co., of Bayonne, N.J., and subsequently scrapped,

LST-54 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-55

LST-55 was laid down on 10 October 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 20 November 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Stephen Washensky; and commissioned on 6 January 1944.

During World War II, LST-55 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion from 6 to 25 June 1944. She was decommissioned on 11 December 1945 and was struck from the Navy list on 3 January 1946. On 26 March 1948, she was sold to the Ships & Power Equipment Corp., of Barber, N.J., and subsequently scrapped.

LST-55 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-56

LST-56 was laid down on 17 October 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 27 November 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Robert G. Appleton; and commissioned on 10 January 1944, Lt. Raymond F. Willett in command.

During World War II, LST-56 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion from 6 to 25 June 1944. She was decommissioned on 23 May 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 3 July 1946. On 5 December 1947, she was sold to the Ships & Power Equipment Corp., of Barber, N.J., and subsequently scrapped.

LST-56 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-57

LST-57 was laid down on 24 October 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 4 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Edward Mays; and commissioned on 15 January 1944.

During World War II, LST-57 served in the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion from 6 to 25 June. Immediately following the war, she was assigned to occupation duty in the Far East during the fall of 1945. She was decommissioned on 24 January 1946 and placed in reserve. On 1 July 1955, LST-57 was named Armstrong County after counties in Pennsylvania and Texas. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 11 August 1955, and she was sunk as a target in 1956.

Armstrong County earned one battle star for World War II service as LST-57.

LST-58

LST-58 was laid down on 31 October 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 11 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. L. H. Crawford; and commissioned on 22 January 1944.

During World War II, LST-58 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion from 6 to 25 June 1944. She was decommissioned on 7 November 1945 and was struck from the Navy list on 28 November 1945. On 30 November 1947, she was sold to the Northern Metals Co., of Philadelphia, Pa., and subsequently scrapped.

LST-58 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-59

LST-59 was laid down on 7 November 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 18 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Richard A. Lewis; and commissioned on 31 January 1944, Lt. R. J. Mayer, USNR, in command.

During World War II, LST-59 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion from 6 to 25 June 1944. She was decommissioned on 21 January 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 25 February 1946. On 18 September 1947, she was sold to the Southern Shipwrecking Co., of New Orleans, La., and subsequently scrapped.

LST-59 earned one battle star for service in World War II.

© 1999  MultiEducator, Inc.  All rights reserved Report Problems here.

 

'); '); '); ');