LST's of the United States Navy
Home
Naval Shopping
About MultiEducator
American History
World History
Election Central
NationbyNation
Primary Source Documents
20th Century Almanac
Aviation History
Navy History
Railroad History
America's Wars
Biographies

Amistadt

Civics

History of Israel
Other Links
About Historycentral
Advertise
Contact US

LST - 1151 - 1198

LST-1151

LST-1151 was laid down on 3 March 1945 at Seneca, Ill., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 4 June 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Isabell H. Collins; and placed in reduced commission on 15 June 1945. LST-1151 underwent conversion to a landing craft repair ship, commissioning as Quirinus (ARL-39) (q.v.) on 6 November 1945.

LST-1152

LST-1152 was laid down on 5 March 1945 at Seneca, Ill., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 8 June 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Alice H. Kline; and commissioned on 30 June 1945, Lt. Frank W. Hickson, Jr., USCGR, in command. Following World War II, LST-1152 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-December 1945. She was decommissioned on I July 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. On 1 July 1955, the ship was redesignated Sweetwater County (LST-1152) (q.v.) after a county in Wyoming. She was transferred to the Republic of China Navy on 21 October 1958 where she served as Chung Ming (LST-227). Sweetwater County was struck from the Navy list on 6 February 1959.

LST-1153

LST-1153 was laid down on 19 July 1945 at the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 24 April 1947; sponsored by Mrs. Lena Mickelson; and commissioned on 3 September 1947. LST-1153 spent her entire career as a unit of the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet, operating along the cast coast of the United States interspersed with deployments to the Mediterranean. On I July 1955, she was redesignated Talbot County (LST-1153) (q.v.) after counties in Maryland and Georgia. She was decommissioned on 3 April 1970 and assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet at Orange, Tex.

LST-1154

LST-1154 was laid down on 4 August 1945 at the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 19 July 1946; sponsored by Mrs. Wilder D. Baker; and commissioned on 24 May 1949, Comdr. Courtland T. Babcock in command. From her commissioning until 1962, LST-1154 alternated assignments for the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet along the east coast of the United States with assignment to the 6th Fleet during periodic deployments to the Mediterranean. She was redesignated Tallahatchie County (LST-1154) (q.v.) after a county in Mississippi on I July 1955. She was converted to an advance aviation base ship and redesignated AVB-2 on 3 February 1962. For the remainder of her career, Tallahatchie County provided support to aviation units in the Mediterranean. She was decomissioned on 15 June 1970 and struck from the Navy list. Tallahatchie County was sold for scrap to Contieri Navali Santa Maria, Genoa, Italy, in July 1970.

LST-1155

The contract for LST-1155 was cancelled on 7 January 1946.

LST-1156

LST-1156 was laid down on 2 January 1952 at Bath, Maine, by the Bath Iron Works; launched on 9 August 1952; sponsored by Miss Anne L. McCrea; and commissioned on 21 November 1952, Lt. Comdr. Henry L. Porter in command. LST-1156 spent her entire career alternating assignments with the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet, along the east coast of the United States and operations with the 6th Fleet while periodically deployed to the Mediterranean. She was redesignated Terrebonne Parish (LST-1156) (q.v.) after a parish in Louisiana on I July 1955. The ship was decommissioned on 29 October 1971 and transferred to the Spanish Navy where she served as Velasco, (L-11).

LST-1157

LST-1157 was laid down on 3 March 1952 at Bath, Maine, by the Bath Iron Works; launched on 6 De cember 1953; sponsored by Mrs. John H. SpiIler; and commissioned on 14 March 1954, Lt. Comdr. L. I. Reynolds in command. Assigned to Amphibious Force, Pacific Fleet, LST-1157 conducted numerous deployments to the western Pacific into 1964. She was redesignated Terrell County (LST-1157) (q.v.) after counties in Georgia and Texas on I July 1955. Commencing in 1964, Terrell County performed extensive service in the Vietnam theater. On 25 March 1971, the tank landing ship was decommissioned at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Bremerton, Wash., and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. LST-1157 earned one award of the Presidential Unit Citation, one award of the Navy Unit Commendation, three awards of the Meritorious Unit Commendation, and 12 battle stars for Vietnam service.

LST-1158

LST-1158 was laid down on 16 June 1952 at Bath, Maine, by the Bath Iron Works; launched on 11 April 1953; sponsored by Mrs. Joseph A. Callaghan; and commissioned on 20 June 1953, Lt. Comdr. Charles R. Patton in command. Initially operating with the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet, LST-1158 transferred to the Pacific Amphibious Force in 1954. On I July 1955, she was redesignated Tioga County (LST-1158) (q.v.) after counties in New York and Pennsylvania. For the next decade, the tank landing ship alternated deployments to the western Pacific with operations off the west coast and the Hawaiian Islands. Commencing in 1965, Tioga County performed extensive logistic support duty in the Vietnam theater. On 25 November 1970, she was decommissioned and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet at San Diego, Calif. She was assigned to the Military Sealift Command for service in 1972 and made available for final disposal in November 1973. LST-1158 earned three battle stars for Vietnam service.

LST-1159

LST-1159 was laid down on 2 September 1952 at Bath, Maine, by the Bath Iron Works; launched on 2 July 1953; sponsored by Mrs. R. T. Cowdrey; and commissioned on 12 September 1953, Lt. Comdr. Stephen j. Nemeth in command. Following shakedown, LST-1159 was assigned to Amphibious Force, Pacific Fleet, in 1954. The tank landing ship alternated between operations off the west coast of the United States and deployments to the Far East during the ensuing decade. On I July 1955, she was redesignated Tom Green County (LST-1159) (q.v.) after a county in Texas. Commencing in 1965, Tom Green County performed extensive service in the Vietnam theater. This continued until the end of 1971, when the ship returned to the United States. Decommissioned on 5 January 1972, Tom Green County was transferred to the Spanish Navy where she served as Conde del Vendito (L-13). LST-1159 earned four awards of the Navy Unit Commendation, two awards of the Meritorious Unit Commendation, and 12 engagement stars for service in Vietnam as Tom Green County.

LST-1160

LST-1160 was laid down on 18 December 1952 at Bath, Maine, by the Bath Iron Works; launched on 3 October 1953; sponsored by Mrs. Omar R. King; and commissioned on 19 December 1953, Lt. Comdr. J. W. Perkins in command. Following commissioning and shakedown training, LST- 1160 was assigned to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet, for duty. She remained in this assign ment, alternating operations along the east coast of the United States with deployments to the Mediterranean and the Caribbean, throughout her active service. On 1 July 1955, the ship was redesignated Traverse County (LST-1160) (q.v.) after a county in Minnesota. She was decommissioned in 1970 and assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet at Orange, Tex. On 7 June 1972, Traverse County was transferred to the Military Sealift Command (MSC).

LST-1161

LST-1161 was laid down on 14 April 1952 at Pascagoula, Miss., by the Ingalls Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 25 November 1952; sponsored by Mrs. Hugh L. White; and commissioned on 18 May 1953, Lt. Comdr. D. E. Sutherlin in command. Following shakedown training, LST-1161 was assigned to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet, for duty. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Vernon County (LST-1161) (q.v.) after a parish in Louisiana and counties in Missouri and Wisconsin. On 6 June 1958, Vernon County was assigned to the Pacific Fleet. Later homeported in Yokosuka, the tank landing ship performed extensive service in the Vietnam theater. Vernon County was decommissioned on 14 June 1973 and transferred to Venezuela that same month where she served in the Venezuelan Navy as Amazonas (T-21). LST-1161 earned one Presidential Unit Citation, three Navy Unit Commendations, three Meritorious Unit Commendations, and 14 battle stars for her Vietnam service as Vernon County.

LST-1162

LST-1162 was laid down on 21 July 1952 at Pascagoula, Miss., by the Ingalls Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 23 January 1953; sponsored by Mrs. Wilbur G. Dees; and commissioned on 13 August 1953, Lt. Comdr. 1. W. Matthews in command. Following shakedown, LST-1162 was assigned to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet, and, for the next 17 years, alternated operations along the cast coast of the United States with deployments to the Mediterranean and the Caribbean. On I July 1955, the tank landing ship was redesignated Wahkiakum County (LST-1162) (q.v.) after a county in Washington. She was decommissioned on 16 October 1970 and transferred to the Military Sealift Command (MSC) on 10 April 1972.

LST-1163

LST-1163 was laid down on 4 August 1952 at Pascagoula, Miss., by the Ingalls Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 17 March 1953; sponsored by Mrs. C. Richard Schaeffner; and commissioned on 17 September 1953, Lt. Comdr. Robert H. Steinkellner in command. Following completion of shakedown training, LST-1168 was assigned to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet, for duty. For the next 17 years, the ship alternated operations off the east coast of the United States with deployments to the Mediterranean and the Caribbean. On I July 1955, the tank landing ship was redesignated Waldo County (LST- 1163) (q.v.) after a county in Maine. Decommissioned in October 1970, Waldo County was struck from the Navy list in November 1973.

LST-1164

LST-1164 was laid down on 22 September 1952 at Pascagoula, Miss., by the Ingalls Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 15 May 1953; sponsored by Mrs. John A. Furr; and commissioned on 26 October 1953, Lt. Comdr. Francis Kay in command. Assigned to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet, LST- 1164 spent the next 18 years conducting a variety of operations off the east coast of the United States and in the Mediterranean and Caribbean. On 1 July 1955, the tank landing ship was redesignated Walworth County (LST- 1164) (q.v.) after counties in South Dakota and Wisconsin. Decommissioned in April 1971, Walworth County was transferred to the Military Sealift Command (MSC) on 26 May 1972.

LST-1165

LST-1165 was laid down on 1 December 1952 at Pascagoula, Miss., by the Ingalls Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 14 July 1953; sponsored by Mrs. Ralph K. James; and commissioned on 30 November 1953, Lt. Comdr. Robert R. Davis in command. Assigned to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet, LST- 1165 was later transferred to the Pacific Fleet and homeported in Yokosuka, Japan. On 1 July 1955, the tank landing ship was redesignated Washoe County (LST-1165) (q.v.) after a county in Nevada. Commencing in 1965, Washoe County saw extensive service in the Vietnam theater providing combat and logistic support. Returning to the United States in 1970, she was decommissioned on 25 March 1971 and berthed at the Inactive Ship Facility, Bremerton, Wash. Washoe County was struck from the Navy list in November 1973. LST-1165 earned one Presidential Unit Citation, one Navy Unit Commendation, one Meritorious Unit Commendation, and 11 battle stars for Vietnam service as Washoe County.

LST-1166

LST-1166 was laid down on 29 November 1951 at Sturgeon Bay, Wis., by the Christy Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 22 November 1952; sponsored by Miss Dorothy Christenson; and commissioned on 29 October 1953, Lt. Comdr. Mack D. Ellis in command. Assigned to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet, LST- 1166 conducted operations off the east coast of the United States with one deployment to the Mediterranean in 1956. Earlier, on 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Washtenaw County (LST-1166) (q.v.) after a county in Michigan. Transferred to the Pacific Fleet Amphibious Force in 1958, Washtenaw County was later homeported in Yokosuka, Japan, in 1960. Commencing in 1964, the tank landing ship performed extensive service in the Vietnam theater. Inactivated in August 1973, Washtenaw County was struck from the Navy list on 30 August 1973. LST-1166 earned two Presidential Unit Citations, three Navy Unit Commendations, three Meritorious Unit Commendations, and 15 battle stars for Vietnam service as Washtenaw County.

LST-1167

LST-1167 was laid down on 11 January 1952 at Sturgeon Bay, Wis., by the Christy Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 18 April 1953; sponsored by Mrs. Robert E. Wood; and commissioned on 10 March 1954, Lt. Comdr. Leamond F. Lacy in command. Initially assigned to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet, LST-1167 operated off the east coast of the United States and in the Caribbean and made one deployment to the Mediterranean prior to her transfer to the Pacific Fleet in 1958. On 1 July 1955, the tank landing ship was redesignated Westchester County (LST-1167) (q.v.) after a county in New York. In 1960, Westchester County was assigned the home port of Yokosuka, Japan, and spent the remaining years of her active service in the Far East. Commencing in 1965, she performed extensive service in the Vietnam theater of operations. Decommissioned on 30 August 1973 at Yokosuka, Westchester County was assigned to the Inactive Ship Facility, Bremerton, Wash., in November of that year. On 27 August 1974, she was transferred to the Turkish Navy where she served as Serdar (L-402). LST-1167 received three Navy Unit Commendations, two Meritorious Unit Commendations, and 15 engagement stars for Vietnam service as Westchester County.

LST-1168

LST-1168 was laid down on 27 February 1952 at Sturgeon Bay, Wis., by the Christy Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 28 November 1953; sponsored by Mrs. Philip K. Wrigley; and commissioned on 15 June 1954, Lt. Comdr. V. W. Vanzant in command. LST-1168 was initially assigned to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet, and, on 1 July 1955, was redesignated Wexford County (LST-1168) (q.v.) after a county in Michigan. In 1956, the tank landing ship was transferred to the Pacific Fleet. Commencing in 1965, Wexford County saw extensive service in support of operations in Vietnam. On 29 October 1971, she was decommissioned and transferred to the Spanish Navy where she served as Martin Alvarez (L-12). The ship was struck from the Navy list on 1 November 1976. LST-1168 earned one Meritorious Unit Commendation and five battle stars for Vietnam service as Wexford County.

LST-1169

LST-1169 was laid down on 26 November 1952 at Sturgeon Bay, Wis., by the Christy Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 22 August 1953; sponsored by Mrs. John L. Clarkson; and commissioned on 14 September 1954, Lt. Comdr. F. S. Handler in command. Following shakedown training, LST-1169 was assigned to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Whitfield County (LST-1169) (q.v.) after a county in Georgia. Whitfield County was assigned to the Pacific Fleet in 1956 and was later homeported in Yokosuka, Japan. Commencing in 1965, the tank landing ship operated extensively in support of operations in the Vietnam theater. On 15 March 1973, Whitfield County was decommissioned; and, on 17 March 1977, she was transferred to the Greek Navy where she serves as Kos (L-116). LST-1169 received one Presidential Unit Citation, three Navy Unit Commendations, three Meritorious Unit Commendations, and 15 battle stars for Vietnam service as Whitfield County.

LST-1170

LST-1170 was laid down on 21 April 1953 at Sturgeon Bay, Wis., by the Christy Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 22 May 1954; sponsored by Mrs. Joseph R. McCarthy; and commissioned on 15 December 1954, Lt. Comdr. Max Wells in command. Following shakedown training, LST-1170 was assigned to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet. On 1 July 1955, the tank landing ship was redesignated Windham County (LST- 1170) (q.v.) after counties in Connecticut and Vermont. She operated along the east coast of the United States and in the Caribbean and made one deployment to the Mediterranean before being transferred to the Amphibious Force, Pacific Fleet, in 1958. In 1960, the ship's home port was shifted from San Diego to Yokosuka, Japan, and she spent the remainder of her active service in the Far East. Commencing in 1965, Windham County performed extensive service in the Vietnam theater. On 1 June 1973, Windham County was decommissioned and transferred to the Turkish Navy where it served as Ertugrul (L401). LST-1170 earned one Presidential Unit Citation, three Navy Unit Commendations, three Meritorious Unit Commendations, and 14 battle stars for Vietnam service as Windham County.

DeSoto County (LST-1171)

Command History of the USS DeSoto County (LST 1171)

Directly quoted from the ceremonies of transfer to the Italian Navy

The DESOTO COUNTY is a prototype of the LST 1171 Class. Her keel was laid in September 1956, and she was launched February 28, 1957. She was commissioned on June 10, 1958. After initial training in the Caribbean, she was deployed to the Mediterranean for seven months in 1959. The year 1961 was highlighted by trips to Scotland and Ireland. She was in the Mediterranean for five months in 1962 paticipating in training as part of the Sixth Fleet. Deployed in the Caribbean when the Cuba crisis erupted, the DESOTO COUNTY was the only Amphibious Force ship to participate in the evacuation of Guantanamo Bay Naval Base personnel. In December of 1963, she headed for the Caribbean on a normal deployment of her squadron. The Panama riots broke out and the Squadron remained until the crisis was settled. During the summer of 1964, she cruised the St. Lawrence River and the Great Lakes displaying the capabilities of the Navy-Marine Corps team. She visited 17 cities during the cruise and hosted almost half a million visitors. In November 1964 she participated in STEELPIKE I. Staged in Spain, it was the largest peacetime Ampibious landing ever conducted. After extensive operations and type training in 1965, the ship deployed to the Caribbean as part of the Amphibious Ready Group in the spring of 1966. During August and September she made three trips to the Dominican Republic, following the crisis in that country, to embark Army personnel for return to North Carolina.

The DESOTO COUNTY returned to the Caribbean twice in the spring of 1967, taking part in Operation CLOVEHITCH III, a joint Armed Forces exercise. The ship deployed to the Mediterranean with Amphibious Squadron TWO as a unit of Med 2-67. The last half of 1968 found her in the shipyard for regular overhaul. Following refresher training, she deployed in May 1969 to the Caribbean for five months with Amphibious Squadron TEN as a unit of Carib 2-69. In July1970, DESOTO COUNTY deployed to the Mediterranean as a unit of Med 2-70. Of the many operations conducted, the NATO exercise "DEEP EXPRESS" involving English, Italian, Greek, and American ships was the most significant which culminated in a joint landing at Alexandropoulis, Greece. Between January and April 1971, DESOTO COUNTY deployed to the Caribbean on three occasions participating in Amphibious exercises. In May 1971 she was active in the joint exercise "EXOTIC DANCER". In May 1972, she again participated in joint exercise "EXOTIC DANCER V".

The DeSoto County was commanded by Lieutenant Commander Charlie L. Bonham at the time of her decommissioning, who turned over command to Captain Raffaele Inserra of the Italian Navy at the Transfer ceremony.

Medals Awarded to the DeSoto County over the years

Armed Forces Expiditionary Medal 10/24/1962 to 12/6/1962

Navy Expiditionary Medal 10/20/1962 to 10/22/1962

Viet Nam Service Medal 09/09/1969 to 09/11/1969

Meritorious Unit Commendation Medal 09/16/1970 to 0/02/1970

LST-1172 The contract for LST-1172 was cancelled in 1955.

Suffolk County (LST-1173) Suffolk County (LST-1173) (q.v.) was named after counties in Massachusetts and New York. She was laid down on 17 July 1955 at the Boston Naval Shipyard; launched on 5 September 1956; sponsored by Mrs. Thomas P. O'Neill, Jr.; and commissioned on 15 August 1957, Lt. Comdr. James E. Brown in command. Assigned to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet, following commissioning, Suffolk County spent her entire active service operating off the cast coast of the United States interspersed with numerous deployments to the Caribbean and the Mediterranean. Decommissioned on 25 August 1972, Suffolk County was assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet and berthed at Norfolk, Va.

Grant County (LST-1174)

Grant County (LST-1174) (q.v.) was named after counties in 15 states of the United States. She was laid down on 15 March 1956 at Avondale, La., by the Avondale Marine Ways, Inc.; launched on 12 October 1956; sponsored by Mrs. John Martin Higgins; and commissioned on 17 December 1957, Lt. Comdr. R. B. Nichols in command. Assigned to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet, Grant County spent her entire active service operating off the east coast of the United States interspersed with deployments to the Caribbean and Mediterranean. Decommissioned on 15 January 1973, Grant County was transferred to the Brazilian Navy that same date where she served as Duque de Caxias (G- 26).

York County (LST-1175)

York County (LST-1175) (q.v.) was named after counties in five states of the United States. She was laid down on 4 June 1956 at Newport News, Va., by the Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Co.; launched on 5 March 1957; sponsored by Mrs. William C. France; and commissioned on 8 November 1957, Lt. Comdr. Warren M. Schafer, USNR, in command. Upon commissioning, York County was assigned to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet. She spent her entire active service in operations conducted off the east coast interspersed with deployments to the Caribbean and the Mediterranean. Decommissioned on 17 July 1972, York County was transferred to the Italian Navy that same date where she served as Nave Caorle (L9891).

Graham County (LST-1176)

Graham County (LST-1176) (q.v.) was named after counties in Arizona, Kansas, and North Carolina. She was laid down on 4 February 1957 at Newport News, Va., by the Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Co.; launched on 9 September 1957; sponsored by Mrs. Ralph Otis Davis; and commissioned on 17 April 1958, Lt. Comdr. Gordon H. McCrea in command. Assigned to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet, Graham County conducted operations off the east coast of the United States and in the Caribbean and Mediterranean for the next 14 years. Redesignated AGP-176 in 1972, her primary mission became the support of patrol gunboats, and her home port was changed to Naples, Italy. Decommissioned on 1 March 1977, Graham County was subsequently scrapped.

Lorain County (LST-1177) Lorain County (LST-1177) (q.v.) was named after a county in Ohio. She was laid down on 9 August 1956 at Lorain, Ohio, by the American Shipbuilding Co.; launched on 22 June 1957; sponsored by Mrs. Albert D. Baumhart, Jr.; and commissioned on 3 October 1958, Lt. Comdr. Robert E. DuBois in command. From the time of commissioning, Lorain County spent her entire period of active service with the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet. For 14 years, she engaged in amphibious operations along the east coast of the United States supplemented with extended operations in the Caribbean and regular deployments as a unit of the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean. Decommissioned on 1 September 1972, the tank landing ship was assigned to the National Defense Reserve Fleet at Norfolk, Va.

Wood County (LST-1178)

Wood County (LST-1178) (q.v.) was named after counties in Ohio, Texas, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. She was laid down on 1 October 1956 at Lorain, Ohio, by the American Shipbuilding Co.; launched on 14 December 1957; sponsored by Miss Margaret Ackerman; and commissioned on 5 August 1959, Lt. Comdr. Maxton M. Midgett in command. Following commissioning, Wood County was assigned to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet. For 13 years, the tank landing ship alternated between operations on the cast coast of the United States and deployments to the Caribbean and Mediterranean for participation in large scale amphibious training exercises. On 1 May 1972, Wood County was decommissioned and assigned to the National Defense Reserve Fleet at James River, Va.

Newport (LST-1 179)

Newport (LST-1179) (q.v.) was laid down on 1 November 1966 at Philadelphia, Pa., by the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard; launched on 3 February 1968; sponsored by Mrs. Claiborne Pell; and commissioned on 7 June 1969, Comdr. Derwin T. Lamb in command. Assigned to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet, upon commissioning, Newport has alternated amphibious training operations along the east coast of the United States with extended deployments to the Caribbean and Mediterranean into 1980.

Manitowoc (LST-1180)

Manitowoc (LST-1180) (q.v.) was named after a city and county in eastern Wisconsin. She was laid down on 1 February 1967 at Philadelphia, Pa., by the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard; launched on 4 January 1969; sponsored by Mrs. Gaylord Nelson; and commissioned on 24 January 1970, Comdr. George T. Dyer, Jr., in command. Following commissioning, Manitowoc was assigned to the Amphibious Force, Pacific Fleet. In the next three years, the tank landing ship conducted three deployments to the Far East in support of operations in the Vietnam theater. In January 1973, she shifted her home port to Little Creek, Va. Into 1978, Manitowoc alternated amphibious training operations along the east coast of the United States with deployments to the Caribbean and Mediterranean. Manitowoc earned two battle stars for Vietnam service.

Sumter (LST-1181)

Sumter (LST-1181) (q.v.) was named after a city and county in South Carolina. She was laid down on 14 November 1967 at Philadelphia, Pa., by the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard; launched on 13 December 1969; sponsored by Mrs. Strom Thurmond; and commissioned on 20 June 1970, Comdr. James C. Hayes in command. Following sea trials, Sumter was assigned to the Amphibious Force, Pacific Fleet, and homeported at Long Beach, Calif. The tank landing ship completed two deployments to the western Pacific in support of the United States effort in Vietnam and was transferred to the Atlantic Fleet in early 1973. Into 1978, Sumter was alternating operations along the east coast of the United States with deployments to the Caribbean and the Mediterranean. Sumter earned two engagement stars for Vietnam service.

Fresno (LST-1182)

Fresno (LST-1182) was named for a city and county in California. She was laid down on 16 December 1967 at San Diego, Calif., by the National Steel & Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 28 September 1968; sponsored by Mrs. Marilyn Hyde; and commissioned on 22 November 1969, Comdr. Stanislaus J. Sowinski in command. Assigned to the Amphibious Force, Pacific Fleet, and homeported at San Diego, Calif., Fresno has alternated amphibious training operations along the west coast of the United States with regular, extended deployments to the western Pacific. She continues this regimen into 1980. Fresno saw extensive service during the latter stages of the Vietnam War. Fresno earned two engagement stars for Vietnam service.

Peoria (LST-1 183)

Peoria (LST-1183) (q.v.) was named after a city in Illinois. She was laid down on 22 February 1968 in San Diego, Calif., by the National Steel & Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 23 November 1968; sponsored by Mrs. Robert H. Michel; and commissioned on 21 February 1970, Comdr. John T. Williams in command. Assigned to the Amphibious Force, Pacific Fleet, upon commissioning, Peoria was homeported at San Diego, Calif. Into 1980, the tank landing ship has alternated amphibious training exercises along the west coast of the United States and off Hawaii with regular deployments to the western Pacific. Peoria provided logistic support for American forces in the Vietnam theater in 1971. Peoria earned two battle stars for Vietnam service.

Frederick (LST-1 184) Frederick (LST-1184) was named after a city and county in Maryland. She was laid down on 13 April 1968 at San Diego, Calif., by the National Steel & Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 8 March 1967; sponsored by Mrs. Kleber S. Masterson; and commissioned on 11 April 1970, Comdr. Robert A. Shaid in command. Following shakedown, Frederick was assigned to the Amphibious Force, Pacific Fleet, and was homeported at San Diego. Since that time, Frederick has alternated amphibious training operations off the west coast of the United States with regular, extended deployments to the Far East. Frederick earned one award of the Meritorious Unit Commendation and three battle stars for Vietnam service.

Schenectady (LST-1 185)

Schenectady (LST-1185) (q.v.) was named after a county and city in New York. She was laid down on 2 August 1968 at San Diego, Calif., by the National Steel & Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 24 May 1969; sponsored by Mrs. Charles E. Goodell; and commissioned on 13 June 1970, Comdr. David E. Sigsworth in command. Assigned to the Amphibious Force, Pacific Fleet, Schenectady has alternated amphibious training operations along the west coast of the United States with regular, extended deployments to the Far East. She continues this routine into 1980. Schenectady earned three battle stars for Vietnam service.

Cayuga (LST-1 186)

Cayuga (LST-1186) was named after a county in New York. She was laid down on 28 September 1968 at San Diego, Calif., by the National Steel & Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 12 July 1969; sponsored by Mrs. Luther C. Heinz; and commissioned on 8 August 1970, Comdr. William T. Hollenbach in command. Following commissioning, Cayuga was assigned to the Amphibious Force, Pacific Fleet, with its home port at Long Beach, Calif. Into 1980, the tank landing ship has alternated amphibious training operations along the west coast of the United States with regular, extended deployments to the Far East. Cayuga earned two battle stars for Vietnam service.

Tuscaloosa (LST-1187)

Tuscaloosa (LST-1187) (q.v.) was named after a county and city in Alabama. She was laid down on 23 November 1968 at San Diego, Calif., by the National Steel & Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 6 September 1969; sponsored by Mrs. Thomas F. Connolly; and commissioned on 24 October 1970, Comdr. Harry W. Kinsley, Jr., in command. Following commissioning, Tuscaloosa was assigned to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet, with its home port at San Diego, Calif. Into 1980, the tank landing ship has alternated amphibious training operations off the west coast of the United States with regular, extended deployments to the Far East. Tuscaloosa earned one award of the Meritorious Unit Commendation and four battle stars for Vietnam service.

Saginaw (LST-1188)

Saginaw (LST-1188) (q.v.) was named after a county and city in central Michigan. She was laid down on 24 May 1969 at San Diego, Calif., by the National Steel & Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 7 February 1970; sponsored by Mrs. James Harvey; and commissioned on 23 January 1971, Comdr. G. P. Brown in command. Following her fitting out period, Saginaw was assigned to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet, with the home port of Little Creek, Va. Into 1980, the tank landing ship has alternated local amphibious training operations along the east coast of the United States and in the Caribbean with regular, sustained deployments to the Mediterranean.

San Bernardino (LST-1 189)

San Bernardino (LST-1189) (q.v.) was named after a county and city in California. She was laid down on 12 July 1969 at San Diego, Calif., by the National Steel & Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 28 March 1970; sponsored by Mrs. Walter H. Baumberger; and commissioned on 27 March 1971, Comdr. Francis L. Roach in command. Following commissioning, San Bernardino was assigned to the Amphibious Force, Pacific Fleet, with the home port of San Diego, Calif. Into 1980, the tank landing ship has alternated amphibious training operations along the west coast of the United States with regular, sustained deployments to the western Pacific. San Bernardino earned one battle star for Vietnam service.

Boulder (LST-1190)

Boulder (LST-1190) was named after a county and city in Colorado. She was laid down on 6 September 1969 at San Diego, Calif., by the National Steel & Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 22 April 1970; sponsored by Mrs. Gordon L. Allott; and comissioned on 4 June 1971, Comdr. B. A' Troutman, Jr., in command. Following commissioning at Long Beach, Calif., Boulder was assigned to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet, with the home port of Little Creek, Va. Into 1980, the tank landing ship alternated amphibious training operations along the east coast of the United States and in the Caribbean with regular, extended deployments to the Mediterranean. Boulder received an award of the Meritorious Unit Commendation for removal and disposal of ordnance from the Suez Canal in 1974.

Racine (LST-1191)

Racine (LST-1191) (q.v.) was named after a county and city in Wisconsin. She was laid down on 13 December 1969 at San Diego, Calif., by the National Steel & Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 15 August 1970; sponsored by Mrs. Edwin B. Hooper; and commissioned on 9 July 1971, Comdr. Daniel W. Anderson in command. Following commissioning, Racine was assigned to the Amphibious Force, Pacific Fleet, with a home port of San Diego, Calif. In the years that followed, the tank landing ship alternated amphibious training operations along the west coast of the United States with regular, extended deployments to the western Pacific. Racine continued that cycle of operations into 1980.

Spartanburg County (LST-1192) Spartanburg County (LST-1192) (q.v.) was named after a county in South Carolina. She was laid down on 7 February 1970 at San Diego, Calif., by the National Steel & Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 7 November 1970; sponsored by Mrs. Neville Holcombe; and commissioned on 1 September 1971, Comdr. P. R. Royse in command. Following commissioning, Spartanburg County transited the Panama Canal to her new home port, Little Creek, Va., where she was assigned to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet. Here, the tank landing ship commenced an operating cycle consisting of amphibious training exercises along the east coast of the United States and in the Caribbean interspersed with scheduled deployments to the Mediterranean. Spartanburg County maintained this cycle into 1980.

Fairfax County (LST-1193) Fairfax County (LST-1193) was named for a county in Virginia. She was laid down on 28 March 1970 at San Diego, Calif., by the National Steel & Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 19 December 1970; sponsored by Mrs. James W. O'Grady; and commissioned on 16 October 1971, Comdr. John F. Neese in command. Following commissioning, Fairfax County transited the Panama Canal to her new home port, Little Creek, Va., where she was assigned to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet. Into 1980, the tank landing ship alternated amphibious training operations along the east coast of the United States and in the Caribbean with regular, extended deployments to the Mediterranean.

La Moure County (LST-1 194) The second La Moure County (LST-1194) was named after a county in North Dakota. She was laid down on 22 May 1970 at San Diego, Calif., by the National Steel & Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 13 February 1971; sponsored by Mrs. Milton R. Young; and commissioned on 18 December 1971, Comdr. Robert B. Rogers in command. Following commissioning, La Moure County transited the Panama Canal en route to her home port, Little Creek, Va., where she was assigned to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet. Since that time, into 1980, the tank landing ship has alternated amphibious training operations along the east coast of the United States and in the Caribbean with deployments to northern European waters and the Mediterranean.

Barbour County (LST-1195)

Barbour County (LST-1195) was named after counties in Alabama and West Virginia in the United States. She was laid down on 15 August 1970 at San Diego, Calif., by the National Steel & Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 15 May 1971; sponsored by Mrs. J. Victor Smith; and commissioned on 12 February 1972, Comdr. John G. Schimming in command. Following commissioning, Barbour County was assigned to the Amphibious Force, Pacific Fleet, with a home port of Long Beach, later changed to San Diego in August 1973. Into 1980, the tank landing ship alternated amphibious training operations off the west coast of the United States with regular, sustained deployments to the western Pacific. Barbour County received the Meritorious Unit Commendation for Service in the Far East in 1975.

Harlan County (LST-1196)

Harlan County (LST-1196) was named after counties in Kentucky and Nebraska. She was laid down on 7 November 1970 at San Diego, Calif., by the National Steel & Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 24 July 1971; sponsored by Mrs. Richard Capen; and commissioned on 8 April 1972, Comdr. Vernon C. Smith in command. Following commissioning, Harlan County was assigned to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet, and transited the Panama Canal en route to her home port of Little Creek, Va. In the years that followed, the tank landing ship alternated amphibious training operations along the east coast of the United States and in the Caribbean with regular, sustained deployments to the Mediterranean. This cycle continued into 1980.

Barnstable County (LST-1197)

Barnstable County (LST-1197) was named after a county in Massachusetts. She was laid down on 19 December 1970 at San Diego, Calif., by the National Steel & Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 2 October 1971; sponsored by Mrs. Frank P. Sanders; and commissioned on 27 May 1972, Comdr. Warren R. Ellsworth in command. Following commissioning, Barnstable County was assigned to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet, and transited the Panama Canal en route to her new home port of Little Creek, Va. In the years that followed, the tank landing ship alternated between amphibious training operations along the east coast of the United States and in the Caribbean with regular, extended deployments to the Mediterranean and, in one instance in 1976, to northern Europe. She maintained this cycle into 1980.

Bristol County (LST-1198)

Bristol County (LST-1198) was named after counties in Massachusetts and Rhode Island. She was laid down on 13 February 1971 at San Diego, Calif., by the National Steel & Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 4 December 1971; sponsored by Mrs. Robert Lee Townsend; and commissioned on 5 August 1972, Comdr. Donald L. Waggoner in command. Following commissioning, Bristol County was assigned to the Amphibious Force, Pacific Fleet, with the home port of Long Beach. In the years that followed, the tank landing ship alternated amphibious training operations off the west coast of the United States with periodic, sustained deployments to the western Pacific. She maintained this cycle into 1980.

© 1999  MultiEducator, Inc.  All rights reserved Report Problems here.

 

'); ');