LST's of the United States Navy

 
Home
Naval Shopping
About MultiEducator
American History
World History
Election Central
NationbyNation
Primary Source Documents
20th Century Almanac
Aviation History
Navy History
Railroad History
America's Wars
Biographies

Amistadt

Civics

History of Israel
Other Links
About Historycentral
Advertise
Contact US

LST - 1 -

LST - 951

LST - 951 was laid down on 8 September 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 7 October 1944; sponsored by Mrs. 0. P. Thomas, Jr.; and commissioned on 31 October 1944, Lt. L. J. Kelly in command. During World War 11, LST-951 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. On 15 September 1945, she was redesignated LSTH- 951 and performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid- January 1946. She was decommissioned on 8 August 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 25 September that same year. On 14 June 1948, the ship was sold to the Walter W. Johnson Co. for scrapping. LST-951 earned one battle star for World War 11 service.

LST - 952

LST - 952 was laid down on 11 September 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 11 October 1944; and commissioned on 3 November 1944. During World War 11, LST-952 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. On 15 September 1945, she was redesignated LSTH- 952 and performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early May 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on I August 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 22 January 1947. On 10 October 1947, the ship was sold to Luria Bros. & Co., Inc., of Philadelphia, Pa., for scrapping. LST-952 earned one battle star for World War 11 service.

LST-953

LST - 953 was laid down on 15 September 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 15 October 1944; and commissioned on 7 November 1944, Lt. T. W. Sexton in command. During World War II, LST-953 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in June 1945. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Marinette County (LST-953) (q.v.) after a county in northeastern Wisconsin. Earlier, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early April 1946. Decommissioned on 12 November 1946 and assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet, Marinette County was struck from the Navy list on 1 November 1958. LST-953 earned one battle star for World War 11 service.

LST-954

LST - 954 was redesignated ARL-17 and named Numitor (q.v.) on 14 August 1944.

LST-955

LST - 955 was redesignated ARL-19 and named Patroclus (q.v.) on 14 August 1944.

LST-956

LST - 956 was redesignated ARB-7 and named Sarpedon (q.v.) on 14 August 1944.

LST-957

LST - 957 was laid down on 30 September 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 30 October 1944; and commissioned on 20 November 1944, Lt. Samuel B. Wardwell, Jr., USNR, in command. During World War 11, LST-957 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in April and May 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early October 1945. The ship was decommissioned on 20 May 1946 and sold to Bosey, Philippines, on 5 December 1947. She was struck from the Navy list on 22 January 1948. LST-957 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-958

LST - 958 was laid down on 3 October 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc,; launched on 31 October 1944; and commissioned on 25 November 1944. During World War 11, LST-958 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-October 1945. The ship was decommissioned on 14 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 March that same year. On 20 December 1946, the tank landing ship was sold. LST-958 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-959

LST - 959 was laid down on 6 October 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 4 November 1944; and commissioned on 29 November 1944, Ens. J. H. Giesmann, Jr., in command. During World War II, LST-959 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-May 1946. She was decommissioned on 13 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July that same year. On 10 June 1948, the ship was stripped and destroyed at Subic Bay, Philippines. LST-959 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST - 960

LST - 960 was laid down on 11 October 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 8 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Helen Grande; and commissioned on 2 December 1944. During World War II, LST-960 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in April and May 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early April 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 2 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 15 August that same year. On 4 April 1948, she was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., Seattle, Wash., for scrapping. LST-960 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST - 961

LST - 961 was laid down on 13 October 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 11 November 1944; and commissioned on 6 December 1944. During World War II, LST-961 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the Palawan Island landings in March 1945 and the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-April 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 23 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August that same year. On 10 December 1947, the ship was sold to The Learner Co., Oakland, Calif., for scrapping. LST-961 earned two battle stars for World War II service.

LST - 962

LST - 962 was redesignated ARL-22 and named Romulus (q.v.) on 14 August 1944.

LST - 963

LST - 963 was redesignated ARL-24 and named Sphinx (q.v.) on 14 August 1944.

LST - 964

LST - 964 was laid down on 24 October 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 22 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Ailene Borland; and commissioned on 16 December 1944. Following World War II, LST-964 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early April 1946. She was decommissioned on 27 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 15 August that same year. On 17 January 1947, the ship was sold to Compania Naviera y Commercial Perez Compano S.A. for operation.

LST-965

LST-965 was laid down on 27 October 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 25 November 1944; and commissioned on 20 December 1944. Following World War II, LST-965 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-October 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 3 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 July that same year. On 23 October 1947, the ship was sold to the Boston Metals Corp., Baltimore, Md., for scrapping.

LST-966

LST-966 was redesignated AGP-15 and named Callisto (q.v.) on 14 August 1944.

LST-967

LST - 967 was redesignated ARB-9 and named Ulysses (q.v.) on 14 August 1944.

LST-968

LST-968 was laid down on 7 November 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 9 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. John S. Eversole; and commissioned on 3 January 1945, Lt. (jg.) Rayburn M. Quinn in command. Following World War II, LST-968 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early April 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 2 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 15 August that same year. On 10 June 1948, the ship was sold to the Humble Oil and Refining Co., Houston, Tex., for operation.

LST-969

LST-969 was laid down on 10 November 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 13 December 1944; and commissioned on 9 January 1945, Lt (jg.) A. K. Price in command. Following World War II, LST-969 performed logistic services between Hawaii and the west coast of the United States in 1945 and 1946 while assigned to the Pacific Fleet. She was decommissioned on 12 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 15 August that same year. On 25 April 1947, the ship was sold to Trailerships, Inc., for operation.

LST-970

LST-970 was laid down on 14 November 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 16 December 1944; sponsored by Major Anne B. Cowan, WAC; and commissioned on 13 January 1945. During World War II, LST-970 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until late February 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 10 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 15 August that same year. On 25 April 1947, the ship was sold to Trailerships, Inc., for operation. LST-970 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST - 971

LST - 971 was redesignated ARL-13 and named Menelaus (q.v.) on 14 August 1944.

LST - 972

LST - 972 was laid down on 21 November 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 22 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Margaret Avery; and commissioned on 22 January 1945. Following World War II, LST-972 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early February 1946. She was decommissioned on 25 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 15 August that same year. On 29 May 1947, the ship was transferred to the Maritime Administration for disposal.

LST - 973

LST - 973 was laid down on 25 November 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 27 December 1944; and commissioned on 27 January 1945. Following World War II, LST-973 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early February 1946. She was decommissioned on 24 May 1946 and transferred to the Army. The ship was struck from the Navy list on 29 September 1947 but reinstated on 6 September 1950 for service during the Korean War. Decommissioned again on 7 November 1951, LST-973 was transferred to the French Navy that same date. She was struck from the Navy list for the second time on 20 November 1951. LST-973 earned four battle stars and one award of the Navy Unit Commendation for Korean service.

LST - 974

LST - 974 was laid down on 28 November 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 31 December 1944; and commissioned on 31 January 1945, Lt. A. C. Lane in command. Following World War II, LST-974 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-May 1946. She was decommissioned and transferred to the State Department for disposal on 14 May 1946. The ship was struck from the Navy list on 19 June 1946.

LST - 975

LST - 975 was laid down on 1 December 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 6 January 1945; sponsored by Miss Alice J. Varian; and commissioned on 3 February 1946, Lt. David S. Stanley in command. Arriving in the Asiatic-Pacific theater at the end of the war, LST-975 conveyed troops and equipment between Philippine ports until she was decommissioned on 16 April 1946 at Subic Bay and turned over to the Army for Far East operations. She was recommissioned on 28 August 1960 and saw extensive service during the Korean War. The tank landing ship was named Marion County (LST-975) (q.v.) on 1 July 1955 after counties in 17 states. She alternated service with the Navy and MSTS until transferred under the Military Assistance Program to the Republic of Vietnam on 12 April 1962. Marion County operated with that country's navy as Cam Ranh (HQ-500). She was struck from the Navy list on I June 1963. LST-975 earned six battle stars for Korean service.

LST-976

LST-976 was redesignated ARB-8 and named Telamon (q.v.) on 14 August 1944.

LST-977

LST-977 was redesignated AGP-14 and named Alecto (q.v.) on 14 August 1944.

LST-978

LST-978 was laid down on 15 December 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 20 January 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Anna H. Phelan; and commissioned on 15 February 1945. Following World War II, LST-978 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-December 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 6 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July that same year. On 10 December 1947 7, the ship was sold to the Salco Iron & Metal Co. for scrapping.

LST-979

LST-979 was laid down on 19 December 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 23 January 1945; sponsored by Mrs. A. H. Balsley; and commissioned on 20 February 1945, Lt. Hunter A. Hogan, Jr., USNR, in command. Following World War II, LST-979 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until late March 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 5 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August that same year. On 4 November 1947, the ship was sold to the Moore Drydock Co., Oakland, Calif., for scrapping.

LST-980

LST-980 was laid down on 9 December 1943 at the Boston Naval Shipyard; launched on 27 January 1944; sponsored by Miss Imelda M. Munzing; and commissioned on 26 February 1944, Lt. W. F. Westfall in command. During World War II, LST-980 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Following the war, LST-980 saw extensive service with the Amphibious Fleet, Atlantic. Named Meeker County (LST-980) (q.v.) on 1 July 1955 after a county in Minnesota, she was decommissioned on 16 December 1955 and assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. Modernized and recommissioned on 23 September 1966, the tank landing ship operated in the Vietnam theater commencing in 1967 and ending in 1970. LST-980 earned one battle star for World War II service and nine battle stars, the Meritorious Unit Commendation, and the Navy Unit Commendation for Vietnam service. LST-981 LST-981 was laid down on 9 December 1943 at the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 27 January 1944; sponsored by Miss Helen Madden; and commissioned on 11 March 1944, Lt. Clyde A. Wilson in command. During World War II, LST-981 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Transferred to the AsiaticPacific theater she engaged in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-May 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 30 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August that same year. On 12 December 1947, the ship was sold to the Salco Iron & Metal Co. for scrapping. LST-981 earned two battle stars for World War II service.

LST - 982

LST - 982 was laid down on 22 December 1943 at the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 10 February 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Orrin R. Hewitt; and commissioned on 19 March 1944, Lt. (jg.) W. A. Breen, Jr., USNR, in command. During World War II, LST-982 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Transferred to the AsiaticPacific theater, she engaged in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-April 1946. The ship was decommissioned on 25 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 July 1946. On 5 December 1947, she was sold to Bosey, Philippines. LST-982 earned two battle stars for World War II service.

LST - 983

LST - 983 was laid down on 22 December 1943 at the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 10 February 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Neal B. Farwell; and commissioned on 25 March 1944, Lt. Woodrow W. Weir, USNR, in command. During World War II, LST-983 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Following the war, LST-983 performed extensive service with the Amphibious Fleet, Atlantic. Renamed Middlesex County (LST-983) (q.v.) on 1 July 1955 after counties in Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and Virginia, she was decommissioned on 10 January 1956 and assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. Recommissioned on 27 September 1961, Middlesex County operated in the Atlantic and Caribbean until decommissioning for the last time on 15 October 1969. LST-983 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST - 984

LST - 984 was laid down on 3 January 1944 at the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 25 February 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Charles J. Donahue; and commissioned on 1 April 1944, Ens. E. R. Baker in command. Following World War II, LST-984 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-March 1946. She was decommissioned on 25 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 July that same year. On 19 June 1948, the ship was sold to the Humble Oil & Refining Co., of Houston, Tex., for operation.

LST - 985

LST - 985 was laid down on 3 January 1944 at the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 25 February 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Charles E. Schofield; and commissioned on 7 April 1944. Following World War 11, LST-985 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid- March 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 11 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July that same year. On 13 October 1947, the ship was sold to William E. Skinner for scrapping.

LST-986

LST - 986 was laid down on 15 January 1944 at the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 5 March 1944; and commissioned on 14 April 1944, Lt. Harold G. Waite, USNR, in command. During World War II, LST-986 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the following operations: Capture and occupation of Guam-July and August 1944 Lingayen Gulf landings-January 1945 Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto-April and May 1945 Following the war, LST-986 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early March 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 18 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August that same year. On 4 November 1948, the ship was sold to the Moore Drydock Co., Oakland, Calif., for scrapping. LST-986 earned three battle stars for World War II service.

LST-987

LST - 987 was laid down on 2 February 1944 at the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 5 March 1944; and commissioned on 19 April 1944, Lt. William H. Pennington in command. Following World War II, LST-987 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-April 1946. She was decommissioned on 3 September 1946, but she continued training of Naval Reserves. LST-987 entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet at Green Cove Springs, Fla., in May 1950. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Millard County (LST-987) (q.v.) after a county in western Utah. The ship was struck from the Navy list on 1 June 1960 and sold to the Federal German Navy in August 1961.

LST-988

LST - 988 was laid down on 10 February 1944 at the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 12 March 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Winfred K. Buckmaster; and commissioned on 25 April 1944, Lt. (jg.) Charles E. Craig in command. During World War II, LST-988 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early April 1946. LST-988 served as a Naval Reserve training ship until decommissioned on 13 June 1950 and assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. Recommissioned on 7 June 1951, LST-988 operated as a unit of the Atlantic Fleet in the Atlantic, Caribbean, and the Mediterranean. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Mineral County (LST-988) (q.v.) after counties in Colorado, Montana, Nevada, and West Virginia. On 11 October 1957, Mineral County was decommissioned once again and stripped preparatory to her sinking as a target ship. She was struck from the Navy list on 27 September 1957. LST-988 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-989

LST - 989 was laid down on 10 February 1944 by the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 12 March 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Arthur L. Anderson; and commissioned on 28 April 1944, Ens. H. L. Campbell in command. During World War II, LST-989 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. Fol lowing the war, LST-989 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-April 1946. She was decommissioned on 7 October 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 13 November that same year. On 25 June 1948, the ship was sold to the Humble Oil & Refining Co., of Houston, Tex., for operation. LST-989 earned one battle star for World War 11 service.

LST - 990

LST - 990 was laid down on 26 February 1944 at the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 27 March 1944; and commissioned on 1 May 1944, Lt. William C. Greenleaf, USNR, in command. During World War II, LST-990 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the following operations: Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands - September and October 1944 Leyte landings-October and November 1944 Zambales-Subic Bay-January 1945 Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto-March through June 1945 Following the war, LST-990 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early December 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 10 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 25 September that same year. On 26 September 1947, the ship was sold to the Boston Metals Co., of Baltimore, Md., for scrapping. LST-990 earned four battle stars for World War II service.

LST - 991

LST - 991 was laid down on 26 February 1944 at the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 27 March 1944; sponsored by Miss Dorothy Ann Govostes; and commissioned on 6 May 1944, Lt. Randall R. Shake, USNR, in command. During World War II, LST-991 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the following operations: Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands - September and October 1944 Leyte landings-October and November 1944 Lingayen Gulf landings-January 1945 Zambales-Subic Bay-January 1945 Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto-April through June 1945 Following the war, LST-991 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early May 1946. LST-991 earned five battle stars for World 'War II service.

LST - 992

LST - 992 was laid down on 5 March 1944 by the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 7 April 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Frances C. Landers; and commissioned on 10 May 1944, Lt. Stanley J. Kerr, USNR, in command. During World War II, LST-992 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Par East and saw service in China until early April 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 9 August 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 25 September that same year. On 13 June 1948, the ship was sold to the Walter W. Johnson Co. for scrapping. LST-992 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-993

LST - 993 was laid down on 7 March 1944 at the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 7 April 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Gladys L. Morey; and commissioned on 12 May 1944, Lt. A. W. Bates, USNR, in command. During World War II, LST-993 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the following operations: Leyte landings-November 1944 Lingayen Gulf landings-January 1945 Tarakan Island operation-April and May 1945 Following the war, LST-993 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early June 1946. She was decommissioned on 1 June 1946. On 7 February 1948, the ship was transferred to the Republic of China. She was struck from the Navy list on 12 March 1948. LST-993 earned three battle stars for World War 11 service. LST-994 LST-994 was laid down on 12 March 1944 by the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 17 April 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Lillian A. Finnerty; and commissioned on 17 May 1944, Lt. R. P. Gonder, USNR, in command. During World War 11, LST-994 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Par East and saw service in China until mid-April 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 31 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August that same year. On 23 December 1947, the ship was sold to Pablo N. Ferrari & Co. for operation. LST-994 earned one battle star for World War II service. LST-995 LST-995 was laid down on 12 March 1944 by the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 2 May 1944; and commissioned on 20 May 1944, Lt. (jg.) G. W. Chamberlin, USNR, in command. During World War II, LST-995 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early April 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 15 August 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 25 September that same year. On 4 November 1947, the ship was sold to the Northwest Merchandising Service for operation. LST-995 earned one battle star for World War II service. LST-996 LST-996 was laid down on 27 March 1944 at the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 2 May 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Ursula A. Hall; and commissioned on 23 May 1944, Ens. C. A. Leach, Jr., USNR, in command. During World War II, LST-996 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. Transferred to the Asiatic-Pacific theater, she engaged in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in April through June 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 22 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 8 May that same year. On 12 October 1947, the ship was sold to the Hugo Neu Steel Products Corp., New York, N.Y., for scrapping. LST-996 earned two battle stars for World War II service.

LST - 997

LST - 997 was laid down on 27 March 1944 at the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 12 May 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Victoria V. Lynn; and commissioned on 27 May 1944, Lt. L. R. Dhuyvetter, USNR, in command. During World War II, LST-997 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid- November 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 7 March 1947 and struck from the Navy list on 4 April that same year. On 15 June 1948, the ship was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., Seattle, Wash., for scrapping. LST-997 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST - 998

LST - 998 was laid down on 8 April 1944 at the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 14 May 1944; sponsored by Miss Olga M. Lessa; and commissioned on 29 May 1944, Lt. R. W. Harter, USNR, in command. Following World War II, LST-998 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until late March 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 26 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 July that *same year. On 4 November 1948, the ship was sold to the Northwest Merchandising Service for operation.

LST - 999

LST - 999 was laid down on 8 April 1944 at the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 14 May 1944; sponsored by Miss Teresa C. McDevitt; and commissioned on 30 May 1944, Ens. V. L. Warner in command. During World War II, LST-999 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the following operations: Leyte landings-October 1944 Mindanao Island landings April 1945 Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto-March through June 1945 LST-999 returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 29 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 25 September that same year. On 3 November 1947, the ship was sold to Dulien Steel Products, Inc., Seattle, Wash., for scrapping. LST-999 earned three battle stars for World War II service. LST-1000 LST-1000 was laid down on 18 April 1944 at the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 26 May 1944; and commissioned on 14 June 1944, Lt. Wesson S. Hertrais, USNR, in command. During World War II, LST-1000 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in April 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-April 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 22 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August that same year. On 13 June 1948, the ship was sold to Walter W. Johnson Co. for scrapping. LST-1000 earned one battle star for World War II service.

© 1999  MultiEducator, Inc.  All rights reserved Report Problems here.

 

'); '); '); ');