Aircraft Carriers of the United States.com
Home
Naval Shopping
About MultiEducator
American History
World History
Election Central
NationbyNation
Primary Source Documents
20th Century Almanac
Aviation History
Navy History
Railroad History
America's Wars
Biographies

Amistadt

Civics

History of Israel
Other Links
About Historycentral
Advertise
Contact US

LST - 850 - 900

LST-850

LST - 850 was laid down on 15 August 1944 at Seneca, Ill., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 3 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Mildred M. T. Honig; and commissioned on 27 November 1944, Lt. Perry B. Hazard in command. During World War II, LST-850 was assigned to the AsiaticPacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, the ship performed occupation duty in the Far East until early October 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 17 May 1946 and transferred to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Juniata County (LST-850) (q.v.) after a county in Pennsylvania. Juniata County was recommended for use as a target for destruction on 20 October 1958 and was struck from the Navy list on 1 November that same year. LST-850 earned one battle star for World War 11 service.

LST-851

LST - 851 was laid down on 10 August 1944 at Seneca, Ill., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 8 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Gertrude B. Van Trigt; and commissioned on 30 November 1944, Lt. Leo T. Tyburski in command, During World War II, LST-851 was assigned to the Asiatic_ Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May 1945. Following the war, the ship performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-October 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 24 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 8 May that same year. On 30 September 1946, LST- 851 was sold to the Northwest Merchandising Service, Seattle, Wash. LST-851 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-852

LST - 852 was redesignated ARL-23 and named Satyr (q.v.) on 14 August 1944.

LST-853

LST - 853 was laid down on 30 August 1944 at Seneca, Ill., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 17 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Ellen Scott DeCoursey; and commissioned on 11 December 1944, Lt. Charles B. Salsbury in command. During World War II, LST-853 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, the ship performed occupation duty in the Far East until early December 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 24 July 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. On I July 1955, she was redesignated Kane County (LST-853) (q.v.) after counties in Illinois and Utah. Kane County was transferred to the Republic of Korea Navy on 22 December 1958 where she served as Sit Yong (LST-813). LST-853 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-854

LST - 854 was laid down on 30 August 1944 at Seneca, Ill., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 20 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. M. A. Menkol; and commissioned on 14 December 1944, Lt. E. J. Robeson in command. During World War 11, LST-854 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, the ship performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early March 1949. She was decommissioned on 21 October 1949 and was recommissioned on 20 November 1950 and performed extensive service during the Korean War. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Kemper County (LST-854) (q.v.) after a county in Mississippi. Continuing operations with the Pacific Fleet following the war, Kemper County participated in the support of the Republic of Vietnam commencing in 1965 until she was decommissioned once again on 28 May 1969. LST-854 earned one battle star for World War If service, five for the Korean War, and one award of the Navy Unit Commendation and five battle stars for the Vietnam War.

LST - 855

LST - 855 was laid down on 6 September 1944 at Seneca, Ill., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 27 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Jeanne H. Hoerner; and commissioned on 21 December 1944, Lt. (jg.) Thomas P. Kierl in command. Following World War II, LST-855 performed occu pation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid- June 1949. The ship was decommissioned on 15 February 1950. On 3 November 1950, LST-855 was recommissioned and performed extensive service during the Korean War. On I July 1955, she was redesignated Kent County (LST-855) (q.v.) after counties in Delaware, Maryland, Michigan, Rhode Island, and Texas. Following post-Korean operations with the Pacific Fleet, Kent County was again decommissioned on 22 January 1958 and destroyed as a target on 19 March that same year. She was struck from the Navy list on 19 March 1958. LST-855 earned six battle stars for the Korean War.

LST-856

LST - 856 was laid down on 16 September 1944 at Seneca, Ill., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 1 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Patricia Wiegand; and commissioned on 23 December 1944, Lt. Arthur E. Fisher in command. During World War If, LST-856 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until midFebruary 1946. The tank landing ship returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 29 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July that same year. On 5 May 1948, she was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., Bethlehem, Pa., and subsequently scrapped. LST-856 received one battle star for World War II service.

LST - 857

LST - 857 was laid down on 19 September 1944 at Seneca, Ill., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 6 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Beatrice S. Major; and commissioned on 29 December 1944, Lt. Roy C. Parlier in command. During World War II, LST-857 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in June 1940. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid- December 1945. After postwar operations with the Pacific Fleet, LST-857 performed extensive service during the Korean War. On 1 July 1955, the ship was redesignated King County (LST-857) (q.v.) after counties in Texas and Washington. In October 1957, she began conversion to an experimental guided missile test ship and was reclassified AG-157 on 17 May 1958. Decommissioned on 8 July 1960, King County was sold to Zidell Explorations, Inc., Portland, Oreg., on 25 April 1961. LST-857 received one battle star for World War II service and seven battle stars for Korean service.

LST - 858

LST - 858 was redesignated ARL-26 and named Stentor (q.v.) on 14 August 1944.

LST - 859

LST - 859 was laid down on 26 September 1944 at Seneca, Ill., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 15 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Elsie M. Marcum; and commissioned on 6 January 1945, Lt. Daniel D. Kipnis in command. During World War II, LST-859 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in June 1945. After the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early December 1945. Following postwar operations with the Pacific Fleet, LST-859 saw extensive service during the Korean War. On 1 July 1955, the ship was redesignated Lafayette County (LST-859) (q.v.) after counties in Arkansas, Florida, Mississippi, Missouri, and Wisconsin: and a parish in Louisiana. Decommssioned on 15 August 1958, Lafayette County was transferred to the Republic of China Navy where she served as Chung Cheng (LST-224). LST-859 received one battle star for World War II service and six battle stars for Korean service.

LST - 860

LST - 860 was laid down on 23 September 1944 at Seneca, Ill., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 19 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Marjorie C. Lindahl; and commissioned on 13 January 1945. LST-860 conducted no combat operations during World War II. She was decommissioned on I June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July that same year. On 19 March 1948, the tank landing ship was sold to the Mechanical Equipment Export Co. for operation.

LST - 861

LST - 861 was laid down on 18 September 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Ma chine Co.; launched on 4 November 1944; sponsored by Miss Frances K. Gadjen; and commissioned on 30 November 1944. During World War II, LST-861 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, LST-861 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid- March 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 10 March 1947 and struck from the Navy list on 4 April that same year. On 10 June 1948, the ship was sold to Kaiser Co., Inc., Seattle, Wash., and subsequently scrapped. LST-861 received one battle star for World War II service.

LST-862

LST-862 was laid down on 26 September 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 9 November 1944; sponsored by Miss Angela Tolkacz; and commissioned on 4 December 1944, Lt. R. N. Moffett, USNR, in command. During World War II, LST-862 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-April 1946. The tank landing ship was decommissioned in early 1946 and transferred to the Maritime Administration for disposal on 10 October 1947. LST-862 received one battle star for World War II service.

LST-863

LST-863 was laid down on 11 October 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 14 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Eva L. Nolan; and commissioned on 9 December 1944. During World War II, LST-863 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June. 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-January 1946. The ship returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 19 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 July that same year. On 13 May 1948, she was sold to Hughes Bros., Inc., and subsequently scrapped. LST-863 received one battle star for World War II service.

LST-864

LST-864 was laid down on 3 October 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 18 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Viola J. Wathen; and commissioned on 13 December 1944. During World War II, LST-864 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-January 1947. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 1 May 1947 and struck from the Navy list on 22 May that same year. On 26 June 1948, the ship was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., Seattle, Wash., and subsequently scrapped. LST-864 received one battle star for World War II service.

LST - 865

LST - 865 was laid down on 19 October 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 22 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Monetta S. Brendel; and commissioned on 16 December 1944. Following the war, LST-865 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-December 1947. She was decommissioned on 30 December 1947 and transferred to the Philippine Navy that same day where she served as Albay (LT-39). The ship was struck from the Navy list on 22 January 1948.

LST - 866

LST - 866 was laid down on 14 October 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 27 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Nellie Meehan; and commissioned on 21 December 1944. During World War II, LST-866 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early April 1946. The ship returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 27 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 July that same year. On 25 September 1947, she was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., Seattle, Wash., and subsequently scrapped. LST-866 received one battle star for World War II service.

LST - 867

LST - 867 was laid down on 23 October 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 1 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Kathryn V. Wise; and commissioned on 18 December 1944, Ens. V. Lopresti in command. Following World War II, LST-867 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early March 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 2 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 July that same year. On 25 September 1947, the ship was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., Seattle, Wash., and subsequently scrapped.

LST - 868

LST - 868 was laid down on 31 October 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machinery Co.; launched on 6 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Beatrice C. Hanley; and commissioned on 30 December 1944. During World War II, LST-868 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-April 1946. LST-868 returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 9 August 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 10 June 1947. On 19 December 1947, the ship was sold to the Northern Metals Co., Philadelphia, Pa., for scrapping. LST-868 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST - 869

LST - 869 was laid down on 27 October 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machinery Co.; launched on 11 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Janie G. Ray; and commissioned on 6 January 1945, Lt. (jg.) E. J. Malloy in command. Following World War II, LST-869 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-April 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 31 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August that same year. On 26 December 1947, the ship was sold to Pablo N. Ferrari & Co. for operation.

LST-870

LST - 870 was laid down on 4 October 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machinery Co.; launched on 15 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Opal M. Burke; and commissioned on 10 January 1945. Following World War II, LST-870 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early February 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned in June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August that same year. On 29 August 1947, the ship was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., Seattle, Wash., for scrapping. LST-87-1 LST-871 was laid down on 9 November 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machinery Co.; launched on 20 December 1944; and commissioned on 18 January 1945. LST-871 was redesignated LSTH-871 on 15 September 1945. Following World War II, LSTH-871 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early May 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 4 October 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 13 November that same year. On 30 June 1948, the ship was sold to the Humble Oil & Refining Co., Houston, Tex., for operation.

LST-872

LST - 872 was laid down on 18 November 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machinery Co.; launched on 28 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Carrie 1. Morris; and commissioned on 22 January 1945. LST-872 performed no combat service with the United States Navy and was decommissioned on 8 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 15 August that same year. On 27 October 1947, she was sold to the Northwest Merchandising Service for operation.

LST-873

LST - 873 was laid down on 14 November 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machinery Co.; launched on 3 January 1945; sponsored by Miss Florence A. Babb; and commissioned on 27 January 1945, Lt. Ned S. Holley in command. Following World War II, LST-873 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-February 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 8 August 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 25 September that same year. On 20 May 1948, the ship was sold to Kaiser Co., Inc., Vancouver, Wash., for scrapping.

LST-874

LST - 874 was laid down on 16 October 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 25 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Ernest B. Rainey; and commissioned on 18 December 1944. During World War 11, LST-874 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early January 1946. LST-874 returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 29 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July that same year. On 8 June 1948, the ship was sold to Donald P. Loker for operation. LST-874 earned one battle star for World War 11 service.

LST - 875

LST - 875 was laid down on 18 October 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.launched on 29 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Karl R. Zimmermann; and commissioned on 22 December 1944, Lt. R. E. Euliss in command. During World War II, LST-875 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-September 1945. She was decommissioned on 22 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 July that same year. On 2 July 1948, the ship was transferred to the Philippine Navy where she served as Misamis Oriental (LT-40). LST-875 earned one battle star for World War 11 service.

LST - 876

LST - 876 was laid down on 21 October 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 2 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. John S. Shochmake; and commissioned on 27 December 1944, Lt. John V. Quillan, Jr., USNR, in command. During World War II, LST-876 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early April 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 28 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 July that same year. On 4 November 1947, the ship was sold to W. A. Talbot for scrapping. LST-876 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST - 877

LST - 877 was laid down on 25 October 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 6 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. E. L. Hardeman; and commissioned on I January 1945, Lt. George Lee Smith in command. During World War 11, LST-877 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early January 1946. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on I May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July that same year. On 15 January 1948, the ship was sold to the California Co. for operation. LST-877 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST - 878

LST - 878 was laid down on 30 October 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 9 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Richard L. Moorehead; and commissioned on 3 January 1945, Lt. Laurence Lattomus, USNR, in command. Following the war, LST-878 performed occupation duty in the Far East until late November 1945. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 3 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 July that same year. On 5 November 1947, the tank landing ship was sold to Bosey, Philippines.

LST-879

LST-879 was laid down on 2 November 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 13 December 1944; launched by Mrs. Rella G. Heath; and commissioned on 5 January 1945. During World War II, LST-879 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-November 1945. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 26 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 25 September that same year. On 17 May 1948, the ship was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., Bethlehem, Pa., for scrapping. LST-879 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-880

LST-880 was laid down on 6 November 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 16 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. L. H. Quigley; and commissioned on 9 January 1945, Lt. (jg.) James T. Connolly in command. Following World War II, LST-880 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early December 1945. She was decommissioned on I October 1946 and assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet at Green Cove Springs, Fla. Recommissioned on 20 August 1951, LST-880 served with the Atlantic Fleet, including occupation duty in Europe, from June through November 1952. On 1 July 1955, the ship was redesignated Lake County (LST-880) (q.v.) after counties in 12 states. She was decommissioned on 25 November 1958. Declared unfit for further service, Lake County was used as a target ship for destruction.

LST-881

LST-881 was laid down on 10 November 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 20 December 1944; sponsored by Miss Pat Shobe; and commissioned on 15 January 1945. Following World War II, LST-881 performed occupation duty in the Far East until late September 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 14 February 1947 and struck from the Navy list on 5 March that same year. On 24 November 1947, the ship was sold to E. G. Fontes & Co. for operation.

LST-882

LST-882 was laid down on 14 November 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 23 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. John R. Brown; and commissioned on 18 January 1945. Following World War II, LST-882 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early March 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 5 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August that same year. On 4 November 1947, the ship was sold to the Moore Drydock Co., Oakland, Calif., for scrapping.

LST - 883

LST - 883 was laid down on 16 November 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 30 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. L. D. McBride; and commissioned on 23 January 1945, Lt. Winfield H. Cook in command. During World War II, LST-883 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in June 1945. She was decommissioned on 20 April 1946 and transferred to the Army. Recommissioned on 1 July 1950, LST-883 performed extensive service during the Korean War. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated La Moure County (LST-883) (q.v.) after a county in North Dakota. Operating with the Pacific Fleet after the war, La Moure County was decommissioned again on 7 December 1959. Struck from the Navy list on 1 July 1960, the ship was sold to Zidell Explorations Corp., Portland, Oreg., on 30 November 1960. LST-883 earned one battle star for World War II service and seven battle stars for the Korean War.

LST - 884

LST - 884 was laid down on 23 July 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 30 September 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Michael Durkin; and commissioned on 10 October 1944. During World War II, LST-884 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Iwo Jima in February 1945 and the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in April 1945. She was decommissioned on 16 February 1946. Due to extensive damage resulting from a kamikaze attack on 1 April 1945, LST-884's hulk was sunk on 6 May 1946. The ship was struck from the Navy list on 21 May 1946. LST-884 earned two battle stars for World War II service.

LST - 885

LST - 885 was laid down on 13 August 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 23 September 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Alvin H. Tutt; and commissioned on 26 October 1944. During World War II, LST-885 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in March and April 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until late November 1945. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 29 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July that same year. On 16 December 1947, the ship was sold to the Tex-O-Kan Flour Mills Co., Dallas, Tex., for operation. LST-885 earned one battle star for World War 11 service.

LST - 886

LST - 886 was laid down on 20 August 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 30 September 1944; sponsored by Mrs. C. S. Hamilton; and commissioned on 2 November 1944. During World War II, LST-886 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Iwo Jima in March 1945 and the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in April 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid- November 1945. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 10 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 June that same year. On 20 May 1948, the ship was sold to Kaiser Co., Inc., Vancouver, Wash., for scrapping. LST-886 earned two battle stars for World War II service.

LST-887

LST-887 was laid down on 27 August 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 7 October 1944; sponsored by Mrs. F. J. Conroy; and commissioned on 7 November 1944, Lt. Loring 0. Chandler, USCGR, in command. During World War II, LST-887 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until late October 1945. The ship was decommissioned on 23 July 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. Recommissioned on 3 November 1950, LST-887 performed extensive service during the Korean War and with the Pacific Fleet thereafter. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Lawrence County (LST-887) (q.v.) after counties in 11 states of the United States. Decommissioned again on 22 March 1960, Lawrence County was struck from the Navy list on 1 November 1960 and sold to the Indonesian Navy where she served as Tandjung Nusanixe (LST-1). LST-887 earned one battle star for World War II service and three for the Korean War.

LST-888

LST-888 was laid down on 11 August 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 14 October 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Richard Connell; and commissioned on 13 November 1944, Lt. Walter V. Harlin in command. During World War II, LST-888 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from March through June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early April 1946. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 2 September and assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet at Green Cove Springs, Fla. On 1 July 1955, LST-888 was redesignated Lee County (LST-888) (q.v.) after counties in 12 states of the United States. Struck from the Navy list on 21 September 1960, the ship was sold to Gulf Tampa Drydock, Inc., Tampa, Fla., on 18 April 1961 for scrapping. LST-888 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-889

LST-889 was laid down on 3 September 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 14 October 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Sylvester Hohl; and commissioned on 18 November 1944, Lt. Lon Hocker, Jr., USNR, in command. During World War II, LST-889 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early December 1945. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 28 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 July that same year. On 13 February 1948, the ship was sold to Bosey, Philippines. LST-889 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-890

LST-890 was laid down on 10 September 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 21 October 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Andrew Hetherington; and commissioned on 24 November 1944. During World War II, LST-890 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-October 1945. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 24 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July that same year. On 10 June 1948, the ship was sold to Kaiser Co., Inc., Vancouver, Wash., for scrapping. LST-390 earned one battle star for World War 11 service.

LST - 891

LST - 891 was laid down on 21 August 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 28 October 1944; sponsored by Miss Edyth Cole; and commissioned on 27 November 1944, Lt. James F. Brown in command. During World War 11, LST-891 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early December 1945. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 2 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 July that same year. On 29 August 1947, the ship was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., Seattle, Wash., for scrapping. LST-891 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST - 892

LST - 892 was laid down on 17 September 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 28 October 1944; sponsored by Mrs. P. D. Bowman; and commissioned on 30 November 1944, Lt. W. S. Miller in command. During World War 11, LST-892 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-February 1946. Upon -her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 5 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August that same year. On 27 October 1947, the ship was sold to the Moore Dry Dock Co., Oakland, Calif., for scrapping. LST-892 earned one battle star for World War II service..

LST - 893

LST - 893 was laid down on 24 September 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 4 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. John Schutt; and commissioned on 4 December 1944. Following World War II, LST-893 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early December 1945. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 8 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 June that same year. On 29 May 1948, the ship was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., Bethlehem, Pa., for scrapping. LST-894 LST-894 was laid down on 4 September 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 11 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Robert C. Norris; and commissioned on 12 December 1944, Lt. F. N. Wood in command. During World War II, LST-894 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in April and May 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until late November 1945. The ship was decommissioned on 29 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 July that same year. On 5 December 1947, she was sold to Bosey, Philippines. LST-894 earned one battle star for World War II service. LST-895 LST-895 was laid down on I October 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 11 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Frank Brooks; and commissioned on 16 December 1944. During World War 11, LST-895 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-September 1945. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 17 August 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 12 March 1948. On 10 January 1952, the ship was, sold to Babbidge & Holt Co., Inc., Portland, Oreg. LST-895 earned one battle star for World War II service. LST-896 LST-896 was laid down on 6 October 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 18 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Russell D. Strouse; and commissioned on 20 December 1944, Lt. Vinton C. Vint in command. Following World War 11, LST-896 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early December 1945. She was decommissioned on 3 December 1945 and struck from the Navy list on 3 January 1946. Her typhoon-damaged hulk was destroyed on 8 March 1946.

LST - 897

LST - 897 was laid down on 19 September 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 25 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Henry B. Taliaferro; and commissioned on 22 December 1944, Lt. Peter K. Peterson, USNR, in command. During World War II, LST-897 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-March 1946. The ship returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 23 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August that same year. On 15 June 1948, the tank landing ship was sold to Steel Powers for operation. LST-897 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST - 898

LST - 898 was laid down on 15 October 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 25 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. J. B. Mahwhinney; and commissioned on 29 December 1944, Lt. D. W. Kallock in command. During World War II, LST-898 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-March 1946. The ship was decommissioned on 9 May 1946 and transferred to the Army. Recommissioned on 28 August 1950, LST-898 performed extensive service during the Korean War and with the Pacific Fleet thereafter. On I July 1955, she was redesignated Lincoln County (LST-898) (q.v.) after counties in 24 states of the United States. Decommissioned again on 24 March 1961, Lincoln County was transferred to the Royal Thai Navy on 31 August 1962 where she served as Cheng (LST-2). LST-898 earned one battle star for World War 11 service and six for the Korean War.

LST - 899

LST - 899 was laid down on 22 October 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 2 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. F. W. Trevorrow; and commissioned on 1 January 1945, Lt. A. H. Thornton in command. Following World War II, LST-899 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early April 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 15 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 15 August that same year. On 5 December 1947, the ship was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., Bethlehem, Pa., for scrapping.

LST - 900

LST - 900 was laid down on 1 October 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 9 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Felix R. Konkle; and commissioned on 6 January 1945, Lt. Neil A. McClaflin in command. During World War II, LST-900 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early November 1945. The ship was decommissioned on 15 May 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Linn County (LST-900) (q.v.) after counties in Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, and Oregon. The tank landing ship was transferred to the Republic of Korea on 2 December 1958 where she served as Puk Han (LST-815). Linn County was struck from the Navy list on 6 February 1959. LST-900 earned one battle star for World War II service.

© 1999  MultiEducator, Inc.  All rights reserved Report Problems here.

 

'); ');