Aircraft Carriers of the United States.com

Other Sites:
 
Special Offer:
Special Price : $49.95

 

 

 
 

Tell us what you think of Navy History

 

LST - 500 - 550

LST-501

LST-501 was laid down on 30 June 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 22 September 1943; sponsored by Miss Ellen B. Reed; and commissioned on 26 November 1943. During World War II, LST-501 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944 and the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. She was then assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, LST-501 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-October 1945. Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 20 August 1947 and struck from the Navy list on 29 September that same year. On 7 May 1948, she was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., Seattle, Wash., and subsequently scrapped. LST-501 earned three battle stars for World War II service.

LST-502

LST-502 was laid down on 18 June 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 25 September 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Joseph Bronaugh; and commissioned on 8 December 1943. During World War II, LST-502 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944 and the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. She was then assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, LST-502 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early February 1946. Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 4 February 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 23 December 1947. On 20 May 1948, she was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., Seattle, Wash., and subsequently scrapped. LST-502 earned three battle stars for World War II service.

LST - 503

LST - 503 was laid down on 29 July 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 8 October 1943; sponsored by Mrs. David E. Eppley; and commissioned on 8 December 1943, Lt. Sam H. Jones, USNR, in command. During World War 11, LST-503 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Following the war, LST-503 returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 11 June 1946. She was transferred to the Republic of China on 4 April 1955 where she served as Chung Kuang (LST-216). The ship was struck from the Navy list on 25 April 1960. LST-503 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST - 504

LST - 504 was laid down on 21 July 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 19 October 1943; sponsored by Mrs. W. J. Griffin; and commissioned on 18 December 1943. During World War II, LST-504 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944 and the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. She was then assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in April and June 1945. Following the war, LST-504 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-January 1946. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 22 January 1946. The ship was redesignated Buchanan County (LST-504) on 1 July 1955 after counties in Iowa, Missouri, and Virginia. She was struck from the Navy list on 11 August 1955 and sunk as a target in February 1956. LST-504 earned three battle stars for World War II service.

LST - 505

LST - 505 was laid down on 6 August 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 27 October 1943; sponsored by Ensign Francis Nobis Berry, USNR; and commissioned on 27 December 1943, Lt. John A. Meadows in command. During World War II, LST-505 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944 and the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. She was then assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, LST-505 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early February 1946 and saw service in China until mid-May that same year. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 11 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 16 September 1947. On 13 February 1948, the ship was sold to Bosey, Philippines. LST-505 earned three battle stars for World War II service.

LST-506

LST-506 was laid down on 19 August 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 4 November 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Frank Pigeon; and commissioned on 3 January 1944. During World War II, LST-506 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Following the war, she returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 24 July 1947 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August that same year. On 4 December 1947, the ship was sold to the Southern Trading Co., Philadelphia, Pa., for operation. LST-506 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-507

LST-507 was laid down on 8 September 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 16 November 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Raymond C. Fuller; and comissioned on 10 January 1944. LST-507 was sunk by a German E-boat torpedo attack in the English Channel on 28 April 1944. She was struck from the Navy list on 9 June 1944.

LST-508

LST - 508 was laid down on 18 September 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 10 Novembed 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Alexander Best; and commissioned on 14 January 1944, Lt. John G. Holmes, USNR, in command. During World War II, LST-508 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Following the war, she returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 2 August 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 January 1947. On 25 March 1947, the ship was transferred to the State Department for disposal. LST-508 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-509

LST-509 was laid down on 7 October 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 23 November 1943; sponsored by Lt. (jg.) Dorothy L. Nims, USCG(W); and commissioned on 20 January 1944, Lt. J. B. Malcom, USNR, in command. During World War II, LST-509 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Following the war, LST-509 returned to the United States and was redesignated Bullock County (LST-509) on I July 1955 after a county in Georgia. On 8 April 1970, the ship was decommissioned and leased to the Republic of Vietnam for service as Qui Nhon (HQ-504). LST-509 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-510

LST-510 was laid down on 27 September 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 30 November 1943; sponsored by Mrs. C. P. Watson; and commissioned on 31 January 1944, Lt. G. P. Andrews in command. During World War II, LST-510 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. She returned to the United States and, on 1 July 1946, was decommissioned and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. On 1 July 1955, the ship was redesignated Buncombe County (LST 510) after a county in North Carolina and was struck from the Navy list on 1 November 1958. LST-510 received one battle star for World War II service.

LST - 511

LST - 511 was laid down on 22 July 1943 at Seneca, Ill., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 30 November 1943; sponsored by Mrs. James V. Gaynor; and commissioned on 3 January 1944, Lt. John Yacevich in command. During World War 11, LST-511 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 19 December 1945 and struck from the Navy list on 8 January 1946. On 17 February 1948, the ship was sold to the AngloCanadian Pulp & Paper MilIs, Quebec, Canada, for operation. LST-511 received one battle star for World War 11 service.

LST - 512

LST - 512 was laid down on 22 July 1943 at Seneca, Ill., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 10 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Gerry DeWane; and commissioned on 8 January 1944. During World War II, LST-512 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. She returned to the United States and, on 28 March 1947, was decommissioned and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. On 1 July 1955, the ship was redesignated Burnett County (LST-512) after a county in Wisconsin and was struck from the Navy list on 18 February 1957. On 11 October 1957, she was sold to the Peruvian Navy. LST-512 received one battle star for World War II service.

LST - 513

LST - 513 was redesignated ARL-9 and named Endymion (q.v.) on 3 November 1943.

LST - 514

LST - 514 was redesignated ARB-5 and named Midas (q.v.) on 3 November 1943.

LST - 515

LST - 515 was laid down on 3 September 1943 at Seneca, Ill., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 31 December 1943; sponsored by Miss Rebekah Brown; and commissioned on 28 January 1944. During World War II, LST-515 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Following the war, LST-515 performed occupation duty in the Far East until midNovember 1952. She also saw postwar service with the Service Force, U.S. Atlantc Fleet. Upon her return to the United States, she was redesignated Caddo Parish (LST-515) on 1 July 1955 after a parish (county) in Louisiana. The ship was decommissioned on 20 October 1955 and recommissioned on 2 August 1963. The tank landing ship performed service in Vietnam until transferred to the Republic of the Philippines as grant aid on 26 November 1969. She served the Philippine Navy as Bataan (LT-85). LST-515 received one battle star for World War 11 service; and nine battle stars, one Navy Unit Commendation and one Meritorious Unit Commendation for Vietnam service.

LST-516

LST - 516 was laid down on 6 September 1943 at Seneca, Ill., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 7 January 1944; sponsored by Mrs. R. R. Hansen; and commissioned on 31 January 1944, Lt. M. J. Miller in command. During World War II, LST-516 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. On 28 February 1947, she was decommissioned and, as a result of hostilities in Korea, recommissioned on 22 September 1950. She served in the Korean War and took part in the following campaigns: U.N. Summer-Fall Offensive-November 1951 Second Korean Winter-January and February 1952 Third Korean Winter-December 1952, January through April 1953 Korea, Summer 1953-June through July 1953 Immediately following the Korean War, she continued to serve in the Korean area until 20 September 1953. Following her Korean service, she returned to the United States. She was named Calaveras County (LST-516) after a county in California on 1 July 1955. On 21 December 1955, the ship was decommissioned and struck from the Navy list on 1 October 1958. LST-516 received one battle star for World War 11 service and four battle stars for Korean service.

LST-517

LST - 517 was laid down on 10 September 1943 at Seneca, Ill., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 15 January 1944; sponsored by Miss Onita Watland Walker; and commissioned on 7 February 1944. During World War II, LST-517 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 21 December 1945 and struck from the Navy list on 21 January 1946. On January 1947, the ship was transferred to the Maritime Administration for disposal. LST-517 received one battle star for World War II service.

LST-518

LST - 518 was redesignated ARB-6 and named Nestor (q.v.) on 3 November 1943.

LST-519

LST - 519 was laid down on 17 September 1943 at Seneca, Ill., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 25 January 1944; sponsored by Miss Bonnie Faye Catherwood; and commissioned on 17 February 1944. During World War 11, LST-519 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the movements of Convoy UGS-36 in April 1944 and the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Following the war, she served with the Atlantic Fleet. Her primary mission was to dispose of condemned ammunition and radioactive waste material in deep water. LST-519 returned to the United States and was named Calhoun County (LST-519) on 1 July 1955 after counties in 11 states of the United States. She was decommissioned on 8 November 1962 and struck from the Navy list that same day. LST-519 received two battle stars for World War II service.

LST-520

LST - 520 was laid down on 24 September 1943 at Seneca, Ill., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 31 January 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Jane G. Gong aware; and commissioned on 28 February 1944, Lt. E. J. Charette in command. During World War 11, LST-520 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. She was then assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, LST-520 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early January 1946. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 13 January 1946 and transferred to Shipping Control Authority, Japan, for operation from 13 January 1946 to 31 March 1952. The tank landing ship was transferred to the Republic of China for operation on I October 1958 and struck from the Navy list that same day. LST-520 received two battle stars for World War II service.

LST - 521

LST - 521 was laid down on 4 October 1943 at Seneca, Ill., by the Chicago Bridge and Iron Co.; launched on 13 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Ruth Sexton; and commissioned on 9 February 1944, Lt. J. J. Kilthau in command. During World War II, LST-521 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 21 October 1945. On 1 July 1955, the tank landing ship was redesignated Cape May County (LST-521) after a county in New Jersey. The ship was struck from the Navy list on 1 November 1959. LST-521 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST - 522

LST - 522 was laid down on 2 October 1943 at Seneca, Ill., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 11 February 1944; sponsored by Mrs. F. F. Loeb; and commissioned on 1 March 1944, Lt. Orton P. Jackson, USNR, in command. During World War II, LST-522 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Following the war, LST-522 performed occupation duty in the Far East and China service until mid-May 1946. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 6 June 1946. On 18 October 1947, the ship was purchased by T. Y. Fong and struck from the Navy list on 22 January 1948. LST-522 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST - 523

LST - 523 was laid down on 15 October 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 6 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Cleona S. Rauth; and commissioned on 3 February 1944. During World War II, LST-523 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. On 19 June 1944, she was sunk by an enemy mine. The ship was struck from the Navy list on 22 August 1944. LST-523 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST - 524

LST - 524 was laid down on 4 October 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind.,,by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 13 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Mildred M. Anderson; and commissioned on 9 February 1944, Ens. E. B. Dodge in command. During World War II, LST-524 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. She was then assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in June 1945. Following the war, LST-524 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early February 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 4 February 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 October 1947. On 21 May 1948, the ship was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., Seattle, Wash., and subsequently scrapped. LST-524 earned two battle stars for World War II service.

LST-525

LST - 525 was laid down on 18 October 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 20 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Anna Mae Federspiel; and comissioned on 14 February 1944, Ens. James R. Stevens in command. During World War II, LST-525 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations: Convoy UGS-36-April 1944 Invasion of southern France-August and September 1944 Following the war, LST-525 was decommissioned on 25 June 1946. She was recommissioned in October 1950 and performed services for the Amphibious Force, U.S. Atlantic Fleet, until decommissioned on 15 September 1954. On 1 July 1955, she was named Caroline County (LST-525) after counties in Maryland and Virginia. Again reactivated in mid- 1965, Caroline County provided support and resupply for riverine forces in Vietnam in 1967 and 1968. She was struck from the Navy list on 15 September 1974. LST-525 earned two battle stars for World War II service and four battle stars and the Meritorious Unit Commendation for Vietnam service.

LST-526

LST - 526 was laid down on 30 October 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 27 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Edna Heath Kimball; and commissioned on 17 February 1944. During World War II, LST-526 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the movements of Convoy UGS-36 in April 1944 and the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 21 December 1945 and struck from the Navy list on 21 January 1946. On 24 January 1947, the ship was sold to Chester D. Bentliff, Lake Charles, La., for operation. LST-526 earned two battle stars for World War II service.

LST-527

LST - 527 was laid down on 23 October 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 3 January 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Bliss A. Fox; and commissioned on 17 February 1944, Lt. W. R. Hammock in command. During World War II, LST-527 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. On 28 February 1945, she was decommissioned and, as a result of hostilities in Korea, recommissioned on 21 September 1950. She served in the Korean War and took part in the following campaigns: Second Korean Winter-January and February 1952 Korea, Summer 1953-May and June 1953 Following her Korean service, she returned to the United States. She was named Cassia County (LST527) after a county in Idaho on 1 July 1955. On 21 December 1956, the ship was decommissioned and struck from the Navy list on 1 October 1958. She was sunk as a target on 3 March 1959. LST-527 earned one battle star for World War II service and two battle stars for Korean service.

LST - 528

LST - 528 was laid down on 13 November 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 11 January 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Madge Medlock Watt; and commissioned on 29 February 1944. During World War II, LST-528 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned in March 1954. The ship was named Catahoula Parish (LST-528) after a parish (county) in Louisiana on I July 1955. She was struck from the Navy list on 21 November 19130. LST-528 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST - 529

LST - 529 was laid down on 8 November 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 17 January 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Margaret S. Carey; and commissioned on 29 February 1944, Lt. G. L. Moore, USNR, in command. During World War II, LST-529 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. On 7 June 1946, she was decommissioned and, as a result of hostilities in Korea, recommissioned on 22 September 1950. She served in the Korean War and took part in the following campaigns: U.N. Summer-Fall offensive-July and August 1951 Second Korean Winter-December 1951 through March 1952 Korea, Summer 1953-June and July 1953 Immediately following the Korean War she continued to serve in the Korean area until July 1954. Following her Korean service, she returned to the United States. She was named Cayuga County (LST-529) after a county in New York on 1 July 1955. She was assigned as a logistic support ship for the Mariana and Bonin Islands in the late 1950's and remained there until transferred to the Republic of Vietnam on 17 December 1963. LST-529 earned one battle star for World War II service and three battle stars for Korean service.

LST-530

LST - 530 was laid down on 23 November 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 25 January 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Eloise K. Glass; and commissioned on 6 March 1944. During World War II, LST-530 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. She was then assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Cunto in June 1945. Following the war, LST-530 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-January 1946 when she returned to the United States and was decommissioned. The tank landing ship was transferred to the Military Sea Transportation Service on 31 March 1952 where it served as USNS LST-530 until struck from the Navy list on 15 June 1973. On 17 September 1973, she was sold to S. S. Zee, Taipei, Taiwan, and subsequently scrapped. LST-530 earned two battle stars for World War II service.

LST - 531

LST - 531 was laid down on 22 September 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 24 November 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Marion Yoder; and commissioned on 17 January 1944, Lt. William D. Bradley, USNR, in command. During World War II, LST-531 was sunk by a German E- boat torpedo attack in Lyme Bay, England, on 28 April 1944 while conducting a pre-invasion landing exercise. LST-531 was struck from the Navy list on 9 June 1944.

LST - 532

LST - 532 was laid down on 24 September 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 28 November 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Fred M. Wyatt; and commissioned on 20 January 1944, Lt. Marinus Pilkington in command. During World War II, LST-532 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Following the war, she operated with the Service Force, U.S. Atlantic Fleet. The ship was decommissioned on 8 June 1955 and renamed Chase County (LST-532) on 1 July 1955 after counties in Kansas and Nebraska. On 15 April 1967, she was transferred to the Military Sea Transportation Service and served as USNS Chase County until struck from the Navy list on 10 June 1973. LST-582 earned one battle star for World War I I service.

LST - 533

LST - 533 was laid down on 29 September 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 1 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. H. D. Peoples; and commissioned on 27 January 1944, Lt. C. E. Hanks in command. During World War II, LST-533 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Following the war, LST-533 performed occupation duty in Europe until early February 1953. She was named Cheboygan County (LST-533) on 1 July 1955 after a county in Michigan. The ship was decommissioned on 1 December 1955 and recommissioned on 18 November 1961 and performed duties for the Service Force, U.S. Atlantic Fleet. The tank landing ship was again decommissioned in May 1969 and struck from the Navy list on 15 September 1974. LST-533 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST - 534

LST - 534 was laid down on 4 October 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 8 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. C. S. Jones; and commissioned on 31 January 1944. During World War II, LST-534 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. On 22 June 1945, she was seriously damaged by a Japanese kamikaze attack. Following the war, LST-534 performed occupation duty in the Far East until she was decommissioned on 2 November 1945. The ship was deemed beyond economical repair and towed to sea and sunk off Okinawa on 9 December 1945. She was struck from the Navy list on 3 January 1946. LST-534 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-535

LST - 535 was laid down on 19 October 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 21 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. John L. Mullins; and commissioned on 4 February 1944, Lt. Martin L. Olson, USNR, in command. During World War II, LST-535 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. She was then assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, LST-535 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early January 1946 when she returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 14 January 1946. On 31 March 1952, the ship was transferred to the Military Sea Transportation Service where she served as USNS LST-535 until transferred to the Republic of China and struck from the Navy list on 1' October 1958. LST-535 earned two battle stars for World War II service.

LST-536

LST - 536 was laid down on 19 October 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 27 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. James M. Lavin; and commissioned on 9 February 1944. During World War II, LST-536 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Following the war, LST-536 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early January 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 23 January 1946. On 21 February 1947, the ship was made available for disposal to the Republic of Korea and struck from the Navy list on 5 March 1947. LST-536 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-537

LST - 537 was laid down on 27 October 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 31 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Robert C. Dean; and commissioned on 9 February 1944. During World War II, LST-537 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Following the war, LST-537 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-January 1946. She returned to the United States, and was decommissioned on 29 May 1946 and transferred to the Republic of China. On 12 March 1948, the ship was struck from the Navy list. LST-537 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-538

LST - 538 was laid down on 29 October 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 5 January 1944; sponsored by Mrs. John W. Evans; and commissioned on 14 February 1944. During World War II, LST-538 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the movements of Convoy UGS-36 in April 1944 and the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. She returned to the United States, and was struck from the Navy list on 26 February 1946 and decommissioned on 16 March that same year. On 5 December 1947, the ship was sold to Bosey, Philippines. LST-538 earned two battle stars for World War II service.

LST - 539

LST - 539 was laid down on 9 November 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 10 January 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Peyton Koch; and commissioned on 17 February 1944. During World War II, LST-539 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the movements of Convoy UGS-37 in April 1944 and the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Following the war, LST-539 performed occupation duty in the Far East in October 1945 and saw service in China in December 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 22 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 July to the same year. On 22 April 1948, the ship was so the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Bethlehem, Pa., sold and subsequently scrapped. LST-539 earned two battle stars for World War II service.

LST - 540

LST - 540 was laid down on 13 November 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 14 January 1944; sponsored by Ens. Elizabeth B. Mayer, USNR; and commissioned on 22 February 1944. During World War II, LST-540 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. She was then assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, LST-540 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early January 1946. She returned to the United States, and was decommissioned on 13 January 1946. The ship was transferred to Shipping Control Authority, Japan, where she was lost due to an operational accident on 20 August 1947. The tank landing ship was struck from the Navy list on 23 March 1949. LST-540 earned two battle stars for World War II service.

LST - 541

LST - 541 was laid down on 22 November 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 25 January 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Earl B. Blackman; and commissioned on 28 February 1944 During World War II, LST-541 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Following the war, LST-541 returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 9 November 1945 and struck from the Navy list on 28 November that same year. On 22 March 1948, the ship was sold to the Townsend Transportation Co., of Bayonne, N.J., and subsequently scrapped. LST-541 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST - 542

LST - 542 was laid down on 29 November 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 28 January 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Robert C. Dean; and commissioned on 29 February 1944. During World War II, LST-542 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Following the war, LST-542 saw service as a part of the Amphibious Force, U.S. Atlantic Fleet. She was named Chelan County (LST-542) after a county in Washington on 1 July 1955. The. ship was decommissioned in 1956 and struck from the Navy list on 1 November 1959. LST-542 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-543

LST - 543 was laid down on 6 December 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge and Iron Co.; launched on 1 February 1944; sponsored by Lt. (jg.) Helen C. Hanson, USNR; and commissioned on 6 March 1944, Lt. Robert F. Blake in command. During World War II, LST-543 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. She was then assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, LST-543 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early May 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 31 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 17 July 1947. On 5 December 1947, the ship was sold to Bosey, Philippines. LST-543 earned two battle stars for World War II service.

LST-544

LST - 544 was laid down on 8 December 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 4 February 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Maudie M. Marlow; and commissioned on 16 March 1944. LST-544 saw no combat service with the United States Navy and was decommissioned on 9 August 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 25 September that same year. On 23 June 1948, the ship was sold to the Willamette Iron & Steel Co. for scrapping.

LST-545

LST - 545 was laid down on 13 December 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge and Iron Co.; launched on 12 February 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Charles M. Wright; and commissioned on 23 March 1944. Following World War II, LST-545 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early December 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 29 August 1946. The tank landing ship was sunk as a target on 12 May 1948 and struck from the Navy list on 28 May that same year.

LST-546

LST - 546 was laid down on 20 December 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 16 February 1944; sponsored by Mrs. W. J. Barbrick; and commissioned on 27 March 1944, Lt. William D. Silkworth in command. Following World War II, LST-546 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early January 1946. She was transferred to the Military Sea Transportation Service on 31 March 1952 where she served as USNS LST-546. On 15 July 1972, the ship was decommissioned and transferred to the Republic of the Philippines as a lease.

LST-547

LST - 547 was laid down on 24 December 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 19 February 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Harold Jourdan; and commissioned on 30 March 1944. Following World War II, LST-547 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-February 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 28 February 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 October 1947. On 26 May 1948, the ship was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Bethlehem, Pa., and subsequently scrapped.

LST - 548

LST - 548 was laid down on 30 December 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 22 February 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Robert L. Koch; and commissioned on 3 April 1944. During World War II, LST-548 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. She was then assigned to the Asiatie-Pacific theater and took part in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in June 1945. Following the war, LST-548 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early February 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 15 February 1946. On 31 March 1952, LST-548 was transferred to the Military Sea Transportation Service where she served as USNS LST-548. The tank landing ship was struck from the Navy list on 1 January 1960. LST-548 earned two battle stars for World War II service.

LST - 549

LST - 549 was laid down on 4 January 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 25 February 1944; sponsored by Mrs. E. A. Oberhuber; and commissioned on 5 April 1944. During World War II LST-549 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the following operations: Morotai landings-September 1944 Leyte landings-October and November 1944 Lingayen Gulf landings-January 1945 Mindanao Island landings-April 1945 Following the war, LST-549 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-February 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 28 February 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 5 December 1947. On 23 May 1948, the ship was sold to Consolidated Builder's, Inc., of Morris Heights, N.Y., and subsequently scrapped. LST-549 earned four battle stars for World War II service. © 1999  MultiEducator, Inc.  All rights reserved Report Problems here.

 

'); ');