Naval History LST's
Home
Naval Shopping
About MultiEducator
American History
World History
Election Central
NationbyNation
Primary Source Documents
20th Century Almanac
Aviation History
Navy History
Railroad History
America's Wars
Biographies

Amistadt

Civics

History of Israel
Other Links
About Historycentral
Advertise
Contact US

LST - 142 - 175

LST-142 through LST-156

LST-142 through LST-156 contracts were cancelled on 16 September 1942.

LST-157

LST-157 was laid down on 25 June 1942 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 31 October 1942; sponsored by Mrs. DeWitt C. Redgrave, Jr.; and commissioned on 10 February 1943.

During World War II, LST-157 served in the European theater and participated in the following operations:

Sicilian occupation-July 1943

Salerno landings-September 1943

Invasion of Normandy-June 1944

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 9 December 1944 and transferred to the United Kingdom. She was returned to the custody of the United States Navy on 11 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 5 June 1946. On 5 December 1947, she was sold to Bosey, Philippines.

LST-157 earned three battle stars for World War II service.

LST-158

LST-158 was laid down on 11 July 1942 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 16 November 1942; sponsored by Mrs. H. S. Tullock; and commissioned on 10 February 1943.

During World War 11, LST-158 served in the European theater and participated in the following operations:

Sicilian occupation-July 1943 North African occupation:

(a) Tunisian operations-May, June and July 1943

She was sunk off Licata, Sicily, on 11 July 1943 as a result of enemy aircraft action and was struck from the Navy list on 28 July 1943.

LST-158 earned two battle stars for World War 11 service.

LST-159

LST-159 was laid down on 19 July 1942 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 21 November 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Adrian G. Wrucke; and commissioned on 13 February 1943. The tank landing ship never saw active service with the United States Navy. She was transferred to the United Kingdom on 3 March 1943 and returned to United States Navy custody on 23 April 1946. She was struck from the Navy list on 19 June 1946. On 27 April 1948, LST-159 was sold to the Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., of Newport News, Va., for conversion to merchant service.

LST-160

LST-160 was laid down on 21 July 1942 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 30 November 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Basil T. Kehoe; and commissioned on 18 February 1943. The tank landing ship never saw active service with the United States Navy. She was decommissioned on 4 March 1943 and transferred to the United Kingdom on 6 March 1943. The ship was returned to United States custody on 1 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July 1946. On 5 December 1947, she was sold to Bosey, Philippines.

LST-161

LST-161 was laid down on 24 July 1942 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 7 December 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Ashley Fancy; and commissioned on 28 February 1943. The tank landing ship never saw active service with the United States Navy. She was decommissioned on 14 March 1943 and transferred to the United Kingdom on 15 March 1943. The ship was returned to United States Navy custody on 5 January 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 20 March 1946. On 7 May 1948, she was sold to the Northern Metals Co., of Philadelphia, Pa., for scrapping.

LST-162

LST-162 was laid down on 24 July 1942 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 3 February 1943; sponsored by Miss Marian Shapiro; and commissioned on 15 March 1943. The tank landing ship never saw active service with the United States Navy. She was decommissioned on 22 March 1943 and transferred to the United Kingdom. The ship was returned to United States Navy custody on I February 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 June 1946. She was sold to Luria Brothers and Co., Inc., of Philadelphia, Pa., on 9 October 1947 for scrapping.

LST-163

LST-163 was laid down on 10 August 1942 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 4 February 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Monty H. Freeland; and commissioned on 24 March 1943. The tank landing ship never saw active service with the United States Navy. She was decommissioned on 29 March 1943 and transferred to the United Kingdom. The ship was returned to United States Navy custody on 29 November 1946 and was sold to Tung Hwa Trading Co., of Singapore, on 29 July 1947 and converted to merchant service. LST-163 was struck from the Navy list on 1 August 1947.

LST-164

LST-164 was laid down on 13 August 1942 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 5 February 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Lloyd E. Miller; and commissioned on 30 March 1943. The tank landing ship never saw service with the United States Navy. The ship was decommissioned on 5 April 1943 and was transferred to the United Kingdom. She was returned to United States Navy custody on 29 November 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 1 August 1947. On 7 October 1947, she was sold to Tung Hwa Trading Co., of Singapore, and converted to merchant service.

LST-165

LST-165 was laid down on 7 September 1942 at Evansville Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 2 February 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Frank Harrison; and commissioned on 3 April 1943. The tank landing ship never saw service with the United States Navy. The ship was decommissioned on 6 April 1943 and transferred to the United Kingdom. She was returned to United States Navy custody on 20 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 5 June 1946. LST-165 was sold to the Northern Metals Co., of Philadelphia, Pa., for scrapping.

LST-166

LST-166 was laid down on 7 September 1942 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on I February 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Vivian Massey; and commissioned on 22 April 1943, Lt. F. B. Bradley, USCG, in command.

During World War II, LST-166 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

Treasury-Bougainville operation:

(a) Occupation and defense of Cape Torokina - December 1943

Marianas operation:

(a) Capture and occupation of Saipan-June 1944

Okinawa Gunto operation:

(a) Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto -April 1945

Following the war, LST-166 performed occupation duty in the Far East until the fall of 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 3 May 1946. She was struck from the Navy list on 19 June 1946 and was sold to Dulien Steel Products, Inc., of Seattle, Wash., on 3 November 1947 for scrapping.

LST-166 earned three battle stars and the Navy Unit Commendation for World War 11 service.

LST-167

LST-167 was laid down on 19 September 1942 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 25 February 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Harry J. Trainor; and commissioned on 27 April 1943, Lt. Edward C. Simons, USCG, in command.

During World War II, LST-167 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the occupation of Vella Lavella in September 1943. She was severely damaged by a Japanese air attack at Vella Lavella, Solomon Islands, on 25 September 1943. Declared beyond economical repair, the ship was struck from the Navy list on 6 December 1943.

LST-167 earned one award of the Navy Unit Commendation and one battle star for World War II service.

LST-168

LST-168 was laid down on 26 September 1942 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 25 February 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Merle Batey; and commissioned on 3 May 1943.

During World War II, LST-168 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

Eastern New Guinea operation:

(a) Finschhafen occupation-September 1943

(b) Saidor occupation-January 1944

Bismarck Archipelago operation:

(a) Cape Gloucester, New Britain-December 1943, January and February 1944

(b) Admiralty Islands landings-March 1944

Hollandia operation-April 1944

Western New Guinea operations:

(a) Morotai landings-September 1944

Leyte land ings-October and November 1944

Lingayen Gulf landings-January 1945

Mindanao Island landings-April 1945

Borneo operations:

(a) Balikpapan operation-July 1945

Following the war, LST-168 performed occupation duty in the Far East in September and October 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 14 March 1946. She was struck from the Navy list on 12 April 1946 and was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Bethlehem, Pa., on 9 April 1948 for scrapping.

LST-168 earned eight battle stars for World War II service.

LST--169

LST-169 was laid down on 1 October 1942 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 26 February 1943; sponsored by Mrs. L. S. Oakes; and commissioned on 22 May 1943.

During World War II, LST-169 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

Gilbert Islands operation-November and December 1943

Marianas operation:

(a) Capture and occupation of Saipan--June and July 1944

Leyte landing-October 1944

Following the war, LST-169 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early December 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 12 April 1946. She was struck from the Navy list on 19 June 1946 and was sold to Luria Steel & Trading Corp., of New York, N.Y., on 24 October 1947 for scrapping.

LST-169 earned three battle stars for World War II service.

LST-170

LST-170 was laid down on 9 October 1942 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 27 February 1943; sponsored by Mrs. A. F. Sweet; and commissioned on 31 May 1943, Lt. T. N. Kelly, USCGR, in command.

During World War 11, LST-170 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

Bismarck Archipelago operation:

(a) Cape Gloucester, New Britain-December 1943

(b) Admiralty Islands landings-March 1944

Eastern New Guinea operation:

(a) Saidor occupation-January and February 1944

Hollandia operation-April and May 1944

Western New Guinea operations:

(a) Toem-Wakde-Sarmi area operation-May 1944

(b) Biak Island operation-May and June 1944

(c) Cape Sansapor operation-July and August 1944

(d) Morotai landing-September 1944

Leyte landings-October and November 1944

Luzon operations:

(a) Mindoro landings-December 1944

(b) Lingayen Gulf landing-January 1945

Consolidation of the southern Philippines:

(a) Mindanao Island landings-April 1945

Following the war, LST-170 was decommissioned on 6 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July 1946. On 5 November 1947, she was sold to the Biloxi Boatwrecking Co., of Biloxi, Miss., for scrapping.

LST-170 earned seven battle stars for World War II service.

LST-171

LST-171 was laid down on 20 October 1942 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 28 February 1943; sponsored by Miss Martha J. Miller; and commissioned on 5 June 1943, Lt. Comdr. H. A. West in command.

During World War II, LST-171 served in the AsiaticPacific theater and took part in the following operations:

Bismarck Archipelago operation:

(a) Cape Gloucester, New Britain-December 1943, January and February 1944

(b) Admiralty Islands landings-February and March 1944

Eastern New Guinea operation:

(a) Saidor occupation-January and February 1944

Western New Guinea operations:

(a) Biak Island operation-May and June 1944

(b) Cape Sansapor operation-July and August 1944

(c) Morotai landings-September 1944

Leyte landings-October and November 1944

Visayan Islands landings-March and April 1945

Borneo operations:

(a) Tarakan Island operation-April and May 1945

(b) Balikpapan operation-June and July 1945

Following the war, LST-171 performed occupation duty in the Far East until late October 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 21 May 1946. She was struck from the Navy list on 3 July 1946 and was sold to Boston Metals Co., of Baltimore, Md., on 26 September 1947 for scrapping.

LST-171 earned seven battle stars for World War II service.

LST-172

LST-172 was laid down on 24 December 1942 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 12 May 1943; sponsored by Mrs. R. H. G. Mathews; and commissioned on 11 June 1943. She performed service in China until late May 1946. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 8 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 9 June 1946. LST-172 was sold to Bosey, Philippines, on 5 November 1947 and converted for merchant service.

LST-173

LST-173 was laid down on 24 December 1942 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 24 April 1943; sponsored by Mrs. John McCone; and commissioned on 18 June 1943.

During World War 11, LST-173 served in the European theater and participated in the movement of Convoy UGS-36 in April 1944 and the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. She was decommissioned and transferred to the United Kingdom on 24 December 1944 and was returned to United States Navy custody on 23 April 1946. On 19 June 1946, LST-173 was struck from the Navy list. The ship was sold to Luria Brothers & Co., of Philadelphia, Pa., on 22 October 1947, for scrapping.

ST-173 earned two battle stars for World War II service.

LST-174

LST-174 was laid down on 1 January 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 21 April 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Elizabeth F. Maynard; and commissioned on 15 June 1943.

During World War 11, LST-174 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the movement of Convoy UGS-36 in April 1944 and the invasion of southern France in August 1944. She was decommissioned on 21 December 1945 and struck from the Navy list on 21 January 1946. On 30 January 1947, LST-174 was sold to Ming-Sung Industrial Co., Ltd., of Shanghai, China, and converted for merchant service.

LST-174 earned two battle stars for World War II service.

LST-175

LST-175 was laid down on 6 January 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 18 April 1943; sponsored by Mrs. John Kuhn; and commissioned on 19 May 1943.

During World War II, LST-175 served in the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. She was decommissioned on 1 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 8 May 1946. On 11 December 1947, she was sold to the Southern Shipwrecking Co., of New Orleans, La., for scrapping.

LST-175 earned one battle star for World War II service.

 

© 1999  MultiEducator, Inc.  All rights reserved Report Problems here.