LST's of the United States Navy
Home
Naval Shopping
About MultiEducator
American History
World History
Election Central
NationbyNation
Primary Source Documents
20th Century Almanac
Aviation History
Navy History
Railroad History
America's Wars
Biographies

Amistadt

Civics

History of Israel
Other Links
About Historycentral
Advertise
Contact US

LST - 126 - 140

LST-126

LST-126 was laid down on 11 June 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 28 August 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Sam B. Storm; and commissioned on 2 October 1943, Lt. M. A. Cassell in command.

During World War II, LST-126 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

Marshall Islands operation:

(a) Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls- January and February 1944

Marianas operation:

(a) Capture and occupation of Saipan-June 1944

Leyte landings-October 1944

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 17 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 23 June 1947. On 14 June 1948, she was sold to the Oil Transport Co., of New Orleans, La., for conversion to merchant service.

LST-126 earned three battle stars for World War II service.

LST-127

LST-127 was laid down on 30 June 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 31 August 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Paul Johnson; and commissioned on 6 October 1943.

During World War 11, LST-127 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

Marshall Islands operation:

(a) Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls- January and February 1944

(b) Occupation of Eniwetok Atoll-February 1944

Marianas operation:

(a) Capture and occupation of Saipan-June and July 1944

(b) Tinian capture and occupation-July 1944

Western Caroline Islands operation:

(a) Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands-September and October 1944

Lingayen landings on Luzon-January 1945

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 11 March 1947 and struck from the Navy list on 10 June 1947. On 11 June 1948, she was sold to Walter W. Johnson Co. for scrapping.

LST-127 earned five battle stars for World War II service.

LST-128

LST-128 was laid down on 20 June 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 3 September 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Allen H. Dame; and commissioned on 11 October 1943.

During World War 11, LST-128 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

Marshall Islands operation:

(a) Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls- January and February 1944

Marianas operation:

(a) Capture and occupation of Saipan-June and July 1944

(b) Tinian capture and occupation-July 1944

Western Caroline Islands operation:

(a) Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands-September and October 1944

Following the war, LST-128 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early March 1946.

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was

decommissioned on 23 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 17 April 1946.

LST-128 earned four battle stars for World War II service.

LST-129

LST-129 was laid down on 1 July 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 8 September 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Henry Bohnsack; and commissioned on 23 October 1943, Lt. M. J. Prince, USNR, in command.

During World War 11, LST-129 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

Marianas operation:

(a) Capture and occupation of Saipan--June and July 1944

(b) Tinian capture and occupation-July 1944

Western Caroline Islands operation:

(a) Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands-September and October 1944

LST-129 was redesignated IX-198 on 5 December 1944 and was decommissioned on 20 January 1945. She was destroyed on 16 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 June 1946.

IX-198 earned three battle stars for World War II service as LST-129.

LST-130

LST-130 was laid down on 5 July 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 13 September 1943; sponsored by Ens. Marjorie M. Wilson, NC; and commissioned on 4 November 1943.

During World War II, LST-130 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

Marianas operation:

(a) Capture and occupation of Saipan-June and August 1944

Okinawa Gunto operation:

(a) Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto - March and April 1945

Following the war, LST-130 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early March 1946. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 10 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 5 December 1947. On 27 May 1948, she was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Seattle, Wash., and subsequently scrapped.

LST-130 earned two battle stars for World War II service.

LST-131

LST-131 was laid down on 7 July 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 19 September 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Kenneth Still; and commissioned on 15 November 1943, Lt. John M. Tully, USNR, in command.

During World War II, LST-131 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

Marianas operation:

(a) Capture and occupation of Saipan-June and July 1944

(b) Tinian capture and occupation-July 1944

Western Caroline Islands operation:

(a) Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands-September and October 1944

Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early January 1946. The ship was decommissioned on 20 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 10 June 1947. On 6 April 1948, she was sold to the Kaiser Co., Inc., of Seattle, Wash., and subsequently scrapped.

LST-131 earned three battle stars for World War II service.

LST-132

LST-132 was redesignated ARB-4 and named Zeus (q.v.) on 3 November 1943.

LST-133

LST-133 was laid down on 24 June 1943 at Seneca, Ill., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 2 November 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Bertha Hetelle;

and commissioned on 29 November 1943, Lt. Floyd E. Richards in command.

During World War II, LST-133 was assigned to the European and Asiatic-Pacific theaters and participated in the following operations:

Invasion of Normandy-June 1944 Okinawa Gunto operation:

(a) Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto -May and June 1945

After the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until late December 1945. She was used as a target in the Bikini atomic bomb tests in July 1946 and was decommissioned on 29 August that same year. On 11 May 1948, LST-133 was sunk as a target and was stricken from the Navy list on 28 May 1948.

LST-133 earned two battle stars and the Navy Unit Commendation for World War II service.

LST-134

LST-134 was laid down on 14 June 1943 at Seneca, Ill., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 9 November 1943; sponsored by Miss Marguerite Markland; and commissioned on 7 December 1943.

During World War 11, LST-134 was initially assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion between 6 and 25 June 1944, and the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. She was later transferred to the AsiaticPacific theater of operations where she took part in the Okinawa assault in May and June 1945. Following the war, LST-134 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early February 1946.

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 17 February 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 October 1947. On 20 April 1948, she was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Seattle, Wash., and subsequently scrapped.

LST-134 earned three battle stars for World War II service.

LST-135

LST-135 was redesignated AGP-10 and named Orestes (q.v.) on 3 November 1943.

LST-136

LST-136 was redesignated ARL-8 and named Egeria (q.v.) on 3 November 1943.

LST-137

LST-137 was laid down on 23 October 1943 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 19 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. J. A. Turek; and commissioned on 26 January 1944.

During World War 11, LST-137 was assigned to the European theater and took part in the invasion of Normandy from 6 to 25 June 1944. She was decommissioned on 20 November 1945 and struck from the Navy list on 5 December 1945. On 26 March 1948, she was sold to the Ships & Power Equipment Corp., of Barber, N.J., for scrapping.

LST-137 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-138

LST-138 was laid down on 27 October 1943 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 30 December 1943; and commissioned on 5 February 1944, Lt. John B. Wilson, USNR, in command.

During World War II, LST-138 was assigned to the European theater and took part in the Normandy invasion between 6 and 25 June 1944.

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 20 November 1945 and struck from the Navy list on 5 December 1945. On 16 June 1947, she was sold to Three Star Line, Inc., of Lake Charles, La., for conversion to merchant service.

LST-138 earned one battle star for, World War II service.

LST-139

LST-139 was laid down on 3 November 1943 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 12 January 1944; and commissioned on 14 February 1944, Lt. Rex C. Gray, USNR, in command.

During World War II, LST-139 was assigned to the European theater and took part in the invasion of Normandy between 6 and 25 June 1944.

Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 25 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 8 May 1946. On 22 April 1947, she was sold to the McWilliams Dredging Co., of New Orleans, La., for conversion to merchant service.

LST-139 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-140

LST-140 was laid down on 10 November 1943 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 8 January 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Hugh Robertson; and commissioned on 9 February 1944, Lt. Richard W. Mickelsen in command.

During World War II, LST-140 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the UGS-36 Convoy operation in April 1944 and the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944.

Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 5 January 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 12 March 1946. On 18 September 1947, the ship was sold to the Southern Shipwrecking Co., of New Orleans, La., for scrapping.

LST-140 earned two battle stars for World War II service.

 

© 1999  MultiEducator, Inc.  All rights reserved Report Problems here.

 

'); ');