Buy a Ship Cap
War of 1812
World War II
US Aircraft of WW2
(DD-99; dp. 1,191; 1. 314'5"; b. 31'9", dr. 9'2", s. 35
k.; cpl. 133; a. 4 4", 2 1-pdr., 12 21" tt.; cl. Wickes)
The first Luce (DD-99) was laid down by Fore River Shipbuilding Corp., Quincy, Mass., 9 February 1918 Iaunched 29 June 1918; sponsored by Mrs. Boutelle Noyes daughter of Rear Admiral Luce; and commissioned li September 1918, Lt. Comdr. R. C. Parker in command.
Luce departed Boston 19 September 1918 and reported to Commander Cruiser Force, Atl:mtic Fleet, in New York 2 days later. She sailed with Troop Convoy 67 for France 23 September. Upon arrival at the Azores 1 October, she was detached and proceeded to Gibraltar 19 October. The ship performed escort and patrol duty in the Mediterranean for the duration of the war.
On 26 November she departed for the Adriatic and for 5 months patrolled the area in cooperation with the Food Commission. After voyaging to the eastern Mediterranean, Aegean, and Black Seas in May and June 1919, she returned to Gibraltar 27 June on route to the United States. She arrived New York 10 July and proceeded to Boston for overhaul.
On 29 October she was transferred to Reserve Squadron 1, Atlantic Fleet, and 18 March 1920 was reclassified Light Mine Lager (DM-4). In April she departed Boston for Newport where she operated with the destroyer force until July. On 5 July 1921 she joined Mine Squadron 1, Gloucester, Mass., and participated in tactical exercises until October. After a cruise to the Caribbean in January 1922, Luce arrived Philadelphia where she decommi sioned 30 June 1922.
Luce recommissioned 19 March 1930 and sailed to Panama 18 April where she operated with submarines of the Canal Zone Control Force until May. She returned to the east coast 4 June and trained with Mine Squadron 1 until steaming to Boston where she decommissioned 31 January 1931. Luce was sold to Schiavone-Bonomo Corp., New York, 29 September 1936 and scrapped 13 November 1936.