Buy a Ship Cap
War of 1812
World War II
US Aircraft of WW2
(DD-267: dp. 1215; 1. 314'4"; b. 31'8"; dr. 9'10"; s. 35
k.; colt 122; a. 4 4", 1 3", 12 21" TT.; cl. Clemson)
The second Ballard (DD-267) was launched 7 December 1918 by Bethlehem Steel Corp., Squantum, Mass.; sponsored by Miss Eloise Ballard; commissioned 5 June 1919, Lieutenant Commander h' M. Collier in command; and reported to the Atlantic Fleet.
Between JuIy 1919 and .July 1920 Ballard cruised to various ports in Europe and the Mediterranean. She returned to the United States in July 1920 and served for a time with the Atlantic Fleet. She then proceeded to the Pacific where she carried out type training and participated in .fleet maneuvers until placed out of commission in reserve at San Diego 17 June 1922.
On 25 June 1940 Ballard was placed in commission in ordinary and was towed to Union Yard of Bethlehem Steel Corp., San Francisco, for conversion to an auxiliary seaplane tender (reclassified AVD 10, 2 August 1940). She was placed in full commission 2 January 1941 and reported to Aircraft, Scouting Force, Pacific Fleet.
With the entrance of the United States into World War II, Ballard steamed to Pearl Harbor where she arrived 28 January l942. until November 1943 she was engaged in tending patrol planes, laying aircraft buoys, escorting convoys, and patrolling throughout the Eastern Pacific (Phoenix, Midway, Fiji, Espiritu Santo, (Guadalcanal Florida, and New Caledonia). Returning to San Francisco 7 November, she completed repairs 30 December 1943 and then.acted as a plane guard during carrier qualification operations, off San Diego, until May 1944.
Between 15 June and 3 July 1944 she participated in the Saipan operation, laying aircraft buoys, and tending the first patrol squadron to operate from the area. Next, she performed patrol duties during the seizure of the Palau Islands (12 September 11 December 1944).
In late December 1944 she began another stateside yard period, at Seattle. Upon completion of repairs, she was once again assigned to plane guard duties, operating out of San Diego until 1 October 1945. Ballard arrived at Philadelphia 26 October 1945 to commence pre-inactivation overhaul. She was decommissioned 5 December 1946 and sold 23 May 1946.
Ballard received two battle stars for her service during World War II.