A British name retained.
(DE-273: dp. 11,501. 289'5" b. 35'1", dr. 11'10"
s. 19~ k.; cpl. 198; a. 3 3' 50 cal. cl. Evarts~)
Grindall was launched as Sanders (DE-273) 4 June 1943 at the Boston Navy Yard; sponsored by Mrs. Sarah Sanders, widow of the ship's namesake, Chief Boatswain Eugene Thomas Sanders, who served in the U.S. Navy from 1919 to 7 December 1941 when he was killed in action in the Pacific.
Assigned to the United Kingdom under terms of lendlease 10 June 1943 her name was changed to HMS Grindall.
Following service with the United Kingdom, Grindall was commissioned as DE-273 by the United States at Chatham, England, 20 August 1945, Lt. Burrill D. Barker, Jr., USNR, in command. As flagship of reconstituted Task Group 21.3 consisting of 10 lend-lease destroyer escorts, Grindall sailed from Chatham 28 August, arriving at Philadelphia 8 September 1945. She decommissioned there 19 October 1945; her name was struck from the Navy List 1 November 1945; and scrapped by the Philadelphia Navy Yard 28 May 1946.