(DE161: dp. 1400; 1. 306'; b. 36'10"; dr. 13'6"; s. 24
k.; cpl. 186; a. 3 3", 3 21" TT.; cl. Buckley)
Barber (DE-161) was launched 20 May 1943 by Norfolk Navy Yard, sponsored by Mrs. Peter Barber, mother of the Barber brothers; commissioned 10 October 1943, Lieutenant E. T. B. Sullivan in command; and reported to the Atlantic Fleet.
Between December 1943 and October 1944 Barber escorted convoys in the Atlantic, completing three transAtlantic crossings to North Africa. For a brief, but rewarding, period 124 March-11 May 1944) she served as a unit of hunter killer TO 21.15 (Croatian Group). On 26 April Barber Joined Frost (DE~144), Huse (DE-145) and Snowdenr" ( DE-246) to sink the German submarine U 488 in 17°54' N., 38°05'W.
On 9 October 1944 Barber entered Philadelphia Navy Yard for conversion to a high speed transport. Her designation was changed to APD-57, 23 October 1944. Upon completion of her reconstruction she remained on the east coast for a short period of time and then proceeded to the Pacific, arriving at Pearl Harbor 26 March 1945. On 30 April she arrived at Ulithi, Caroline Islands, and then departed 5 May as a convoy escort to support the invasion of Okinawa. She remained at Okinawa on patrol until 4 July.
Between July and November 1945 she performed the duties of a convoy escort and patrol vessel throughout the islands of the Western Pacific and Japan. Departing the Far East 21 November, Barber steamed to the east coast of the United States for pre-inactivation overhaul. She was placed out of commission in reserve at Green Cove Springs, Fla., 22 May 1946.
Barber received two battle stars for her World War II service.