(Sch: t. 197; Ibp. 88'; b. 23'5"; dph. 10'; cpl. 72; a. 2
9-pdr., 8 24-pdr. car. )
The fourth Enterprise, a schooner, was launched by the New York Navy Yard on 26 October 1831, and commissioned 15 December 1831, Lieutenant S. W. Downing in command.
Enterprise sailed on 12 January 1832 for South America where she patrolled the Brazil Station guarding United States interests until April of 1834. Returning to New York at that time, she repaired and refitted until July when she departed again for Brazil. Ten months later she joined sloop Peacock for a cruise to the Far East by way of Africa, India, and the East Indies. Continuing eastward, Enterprise called at Honolulu, Hawaii, in September of 1836, then proceeded to the west coast of Mexico, arriving at Mazatlan 28 October 1836. She cruised the west coast of South America until March of 1839 when she departed Valparaiso, Chile, to round the Horn, call at Rio de Janeiro, and sail on to Philadelphia. Here she was inactivated on 12 July 1839.
Enterprise was recommissioned 29 November 1839 and on 16 March 1840, sailed from New York for South America. After 4 years of protecting U.S. commerce on this station, she turned north for home. On 20 June 1844 Enterprise entered the Boston Navy Yard, and 4 days later was decommissioned for the last time. She was sold in 1845.