(AK-103: dp. 14,550, 1. 441'6"; b. 56'11", dr. 28'4" s. 12.5 k., cpl. 206, a. 1 5", 1 3", 2 40mm., 6 20mm.,cl. Crater; T. EC2-S-C1)
Sculptor was laid down as D. W. Harrtrington under Maritime Commission contract (MCE Hull 1671) on 18 May 1943 by California Shipbuilding Co., Wilmington, Calif.; launched on 10 June 1943, sponsored by Mrs. S. E. Joseph, acquired by the Navy on 22 June 1943; and commissioned on 10 August 1943, Lt. Comdr. George C. Bosson in command.
Sculptor served in the Naval Transportation Service, making six voyages from San Francisco supplying advanced bases in the western Pacific. She sailed on her first voyage on 28 August 1943 towing a section of the floating dock, ABSD-1, and delivered it and other cargo at Espiritu Santo on 2 October. After carrying Lend Lease material to New Zealand, she returned to San Francisco on 23 November. On her second voyage beginning on 27 December, she towed a repair barge YRDH-1, and carried a deck cargo of an LCT in sections to Espiritu Santo. After arriving there on 1 February 1944, she made voyages between advanced bases until departing from Espiritu Santo on 20 April for San Francisco, where she arrived on 12 May.
Sculptor's remaining voyages followed the pattern of the first two. She sailed from San Francisco on 3 June with a section of ABSD-2 in tow, and made local cargo voyages in the Southwest Pacific between 15 July and 29 September before returning to San Francisco on 24 October. After overhaul, she sailed again on 16 December with two YF barges in tow which she exchanged at Pearl Harbor for YFD-64. This large drydock was delivered by the combined efforts of Sculptor, and a sister ship at San Pedro Bay, Leyte, P.I., on 13 February 1945. Sculptor then carried cargo between advanced bases until 28 April and returned to San Francisco on 21 May.
On 15 June 1945, the freighter left San Diego with two 83' Coast Guard cutters on deck and a barge in tow. The tow was dropped at Pearl Harbor, and the remainder of the cargo was offloaded at Saipan after arrival on 13 July. The ship returned to San Francisco on 1 September and began her sixth and last Navy voyage on the 29th. She delivered cargo to Saipan and Guam, and sailed from Guam on 23 December for the east coast of the United States. Sculptor arrived at Baltimore on 21 February 1946 and was decommissioned there on 26 February. The ship was redelivered to the Maritime Commission on 8 March and struck from the Navy list on 12 March 1946. In 1947, she was sold to a Greek shipping firm as Dimosthenis Pantaleon, under which name she remained in service until 1970.